[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - 1/16 RSO-03
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Other RC Vehicles » Land

Post subject: 1/16 RSO-03
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:08 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

So, yeah...
It`s not RSO as in:

or

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0975720/

is is RaupenSchlepper Ostfront version 3 from Steyr. Now Wiki has this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raupenschlepper,_Ost

But as you all can se there is no picture od version 3. So to get a clear image of wht I`m doing here is a link that shows RSO-03 in a very good way:
http://www.sembado.com/photo/Dragon/6684/6684.html

Post subject: Re: 1/16 RSO-03
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:28 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Now, since this one is more or less hard to find in blueprints/drawings, somehow I found this nice drawing on wich (when I printed it it came in 1/16.01 scale)
p1.jpg
(it is from http://ww2drawings.jexiste.fr/Files/1-V ... /RSO-1.htm)

From this I made all needed measurements from full scale dimensions of the wiechle from Wiki.

But why this one?
Well I had spare plastic tracks from Panzer III, since I got Impact metal tracks for it, and since it was a shame for them to just sit there all useless...

Since this one has tera drive sprockets, and as you can see there is no room for HL transmission, only logical option was to use servos.
So I bought 4x servo MG955, metal gearing, ball bearing, high torque (around 13kg/cm on 6V, but many reviews say it is less). Two for this one, and two for MAN.
Also, according to those reviews, this servo is a piece of cr..., becuse it overturns angle you wanted, but then corrects itself. So if you are planing on using this in RC plane or heli---don`t...

Since I really don`t need any of them (only motor), there`ll be no problem.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I like the first model better

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:22 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Well, to be honest, me too!

But, let`s go on with this ugly one.
Here is servo...
P9300548.JPG

P9300552.JPG

P9300555.JPG

P9300557.JPG

P9300561.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:31 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Unscrew this small screw that holds potentiometer from within servo.
P9300562.JPG
P9300563.JPG
P9300564.JPG
P9300565.JPG
P9300566.JPG
P9300568.JPG
P9300569.JPG

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:37 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

P9300570.JPG
P9300571.JPG
P9300575.JPG
P9300578.JPG
P9300580.JPG
P9300581.JPG
P9300585.JPG
P9300586.JPG
P9300587.JPG
P9300588.JPG

Post Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:08 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Great little photo tutorial Kamaz.

However, I'd suggest keeping those electrics cos you WILL be needing them should you start using the traditional transmitter/receiver setup.

If you solder two 2.2k resistors to the old pot contacts you can then solder many exciting things to the old motor contacts. Thereby adding remote control to those exciting things. For example:

Add a relay - you get a remote controlled switch -turn on off your smoke unit from your remote, turn on/off lighting, etc.

Add a HL elevation or rotation motor setup and control that with your new radio setup.

OR connect back up to your servo motor assembly for a 'continous rotation servo" - connect your servo shaft to a 10k pot and you have remote control of your tanks sound volume :shock:

Cheers

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:47 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Phyrephish, to be honest, that is more your department and not mine. I do hate that servo electronics, since they do complicate things a bit more that they should be. And yes, you are right, I`ll store those things away, that was the reason why I left 1cm of cables on each end, so that it could be soldered in right order once they get reused.

Note that tracks are there temporary. RSO has some special wheels and suspension, so I`ll be doing that later.
Also I have to say that these servos (MG995) do have enough torque to power tanks as weel, and the best thing is that they are slow, so no need for gear ratio reduction.
PA040589.JPG
PA040592.JPG
PA040593.JPG
PA040595.JPG
PA040596.JPG
PA040597.JPG
PA040599.JPG

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:57 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Well, it is work in progress, so...
But, all in all I had to made some slight modifications, and as it usually goes, I got wrong some parts, since there are so many and so confusing pictures of RSO interior. That ˝lump˝ in the middle of cab is engine cover. In real RSO upper plate should be horizontal and more narrower, but as I said before, I got that angle wrong and hence tilted upper plate. Also I had to accomodate battery pack hence widening. But other things are right.
PA040601.JPG
PA040603.JPG
PA040604.JPG

Electronics are to be sorted out, but for now this is it. It has A-B-C transmitter, so it won`t jam transmitter from lowloader lowering mechanism. Also, note servos position---real RSO had rear drive, front sprocket wheels are just idlers.
PA040606.JPG
PA040609.JPG

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:41 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

So, what is there to be said about soldering with torch?!
It is dangerous, but worth it!
Now, there are many instruction sites around net, also great amount of films on Youtube, but they all come at the end on same few principles:
-soldering torch is used to heat up surrounding metal (in mine case brass) so that standard soldering wire can be used to solder parts together (soldering iron won`t do the jobe since it heats up just a portion of metal while other parts stay cool, since brass absorbs heat quickly, and at the end soldering mass won` t adhere as good as it should making the joint brittle)
-use sand paper to make joint surfaces rough, so that soldering mass can adhere to something
-use soldering paste (this will hepl soldering mass to adhere, lower heating point, prevent oxidation of joint surfaces)
-but before all, make a plan on what to solder in what step and make a sturdy holding mechanism for parts to be soldered, since heat will melt all surrounding soldering mass as you attemp to solder sometnig else there. For example, on mine ˝H˝ frame, as I firstly made those two parallel axles (they have two holders for lower axles), they had allready on them soldered parts, and as I progerssed to soldering connecting axle those holders soldered joints melted so I had to adjust them again.
Bare in mind that soldering mass can be remelted 2-3 times before it gets all impure of soot. If this happens you need to clean joint of all soldering mass and make new.
All in all it`s not so hard once you get a feel for it.

Board index » Other RC Vehicles » Land