[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Custom firmware for the Turnigy 9x anyone?
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » Radio Systems » Turnigy 9x

Post subject: Custom firmware for the Turnigy 9x anyone?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

TURNIGY 4 TANKS

If you are using the Turnigy 9X for controlling your tanks you probably feel somewhat left out. We drive TANKS not ACROs, HELIs or GLIDs. Why does everything have to be setup for thingies that fly? Well, the great thing about the Turnigy 9X is that there is custom EDITABLE firmware out there. It's not that hard to mod your 9X to install a USB interface and then install some new firmware. Only thing as far as I know nobody has written firmware specifically for TANKS.

Until now that is.....

introducing the tankER9X

So if you have a Turnigy 9X (hi Gra) and would like to participate in this project give me a hoy (pm would also work)

If you don't have a Turnigy 9X you can get them from either OzArmour or the RC Tanks Australia Store.

Cheers
P-fish

Post subject: Re: Custom firmware for the Turnigy 9x anyone?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:12 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Well this is the best news since sliced bread
Be happy to help out
The flying stuff is so confusing WHEN YOU DON'T FLY

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:05 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Switch Assignments for Elmod

For comment:

Proposed default switch assignments for Elmod Eco & Pro modules
Finally the only 3 position switch on the Turnigy 9X can be used as Elmod intended:

The 'Mix Switch' is assigned to CH 5 - push up to turn on/off the engine, push down to turn on/off headlight (as per Elmod instructions)

Both ELE D/R & AIL D/R switches are assigned to CH 6 where by the AIL switch operates User Sound 1 & the ELE switch operates User Sound 2.

Likewise for the PRO module:

Both the Gear & RUD switches are assigned to CH 7 whereby Gear -> User Sound 3 & RUD switch -> User Sound 4

FINALLY the function I like best:

The momentary TRN switch (long one, back right) outputs on BOTH CH 2 & CH 8. When you push up it will fire the cannon regardless of what you are doing with the ELE stick. BUT the killer bit is that it you can alter the speed on channel 8. If you connect a servo to CH 8 and use that servo to control the recoil of the cannon you can: Have the servo snap back the barrel at max speed and then SLOWLY return the barrel to the fire position (at the speed YOU determine).

FREAKIN' AWESOME

No more limp wristed Tamiya recoil effect or nasty crass Heng Long/Asiatam recoil effect

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:15 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

hi P fish
All Sounds good to me
Great to actualy have the TX set up and be able to use all the options :D

Will you still be able to reverse a control mode, I have reversed the forward/reverse direction on the lever as I find it easier to pull the lever back to go forward and push lever forward so the tank goes in reverse (if u can understand what i'm saying :roll: )

With Eco could u get 2 mg sounds like for hull mg and another switch to activate the turret mg??

Smoke machine on/off??

Also my for/back lever is on the right hand side

Keep up the good work

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:20 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Gra

The tankER9x firmware will be an edit of the plain ER9X firmware and yes how you want the throttle setup is a specific function in itself.

Because that is how you like your throttle, with the normal Turnigy setup, you have to program that for every model. In the ER9X version you will setup your thottle in the Radio Setup so that it will be applied to all. Here is the actual bit from the ER9X manual:

----------------------------------
Radio Setup (1/6)
Use this screen to set up general functions for the Tx:
1. Owner Name:
2. Beeper:
3. Contrast:
4. Battery warning:
5. Inactivity alarm:
6. Filter ADC:
7. Throttle reverse: This is for all you wacky people who fly with the throttle backwards (e.i. idle
is far from you and full is close to you). Though I personally don't understand how you fly like
that it's a nice feature. The reverse will also reverse the throttle warning on startup and some other throttle related functions.
---------------------------

So as you can see the tankER9X will offer a much better solution for you as it will transfer all your throttle features to a reversed throttle.

The ability to swap between hull and turret machine guns is not a just a function of your radio but also the electronics INSIDE your Tank. BUT yes I can make a simple switch for $9 in parts that will allow you to swap machine guns even if you have just an ECO. The sound will be the same but you can choose whether you are firing from the hull or the turret. All you will need is a spare channel to control it. Very easy to do. To have a second MG sound would involve at least another $20.

Again smoke unit control is not just your radio but also the electrics inside your tank. For basic control you will need a switch like that to swap between your hull & turret macine guns. Again I can tell you how to build one, build one for you, or you can buy one from the RCTA shop (soon) or buy them right now from HK for $7.14. This will just turn on/off your smoker. You could make it proportional with a few more add ons but it would not be a task for the faint hearted.

As for your last point: 'Also my for/back lever is on the right hand side' are you using MODE 2?

From your post I am getting the feeling that you would like a specific ECO template since you don't have the ability to trigger the additional sounds that the PRO has and thus having 2 switches assigned to CH 7 is a waste for ECO users. Sounds like it would be better to have a simple switch inside the tank assigned to CH7 to swap between turret and Hull machine guns for Eco users.

To control your smoker you would have to change the template yourself and assign a spare switch to CH 8 to control your smoke unit. ( I assume that you are not using a servo recoil) Or you could use the actual smoker switch.

Cheers

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:09 pm 
Panther Commander
Panther Commander

I am very pleased with the firmware replacement for Turnigy 9x but unfortunately the firmware will not download to my Eurgle 9x although they appear identical :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Taigen Tiger 1, Panzer III
Torro T35/85.* WSM T35/85
Hooban Elefant
Mattarro Jagdtiger
HL 1/30 M4 & M26
VS King Tiger, Leo

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:46 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Slowstartgjh

I've worked out what I need to do to flash your Eurgle. I've ordered some new stuff that will allow me to flash the older boards.

Bring it with you when you come to get your SGS speakers and Turnigy battery.

Cheers
P-fish

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:27 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

More info on the 9X radios

For those of you wondering if your 9X will take the new tankER9X firmware the answer is yes. Here is the blurb from Steve Morehouse:

The 9X has been sold under various other re-branded model names and numbers, including (but not limited to): Flysky FS-TH9X, Eurgle 2.4Ghz, iMax 9x, and the very popular Turnigy 9x. Please note that there have been two generations of this radio. They look the same from the outside, but the internal circuit board is very slightly different.

The marketing by various stores can be confusing. For example, Turnigy sells their latest ones as "V2" while Eurgle boasts "third generation"... but the fact is that they are referring to their included firmware, not the hardware. While any recent purchase *should* be a second generation board, there are reports of people getting first generation hardware even when buying "V2" or similar from the store. The only way to know for sure what generation you have is to open up the case and look at the circuit board.

To determine what hardware generation your 9x radio is, you must remove the 6 case screws holding on the back of your radio and take a look inside. Use the picture below to locate the radio's CPU and pay particular attention to the highlighted circle, representing the "SCK solder pad". If your pad is in the same location as shown and is connected to the 6th CPU pin from the right then you have the 2nd generation hardware. If, however, your pad is connected to the 8th CPU pin from the left, then you have the 1st generation hardware. What's the difference? The SCK pin hasn't changed (its always been the 6th from the right) but in the early version, FlySky made a mistake with the pad location.

If you have the older style board flashing the 9X is still possible the difference is that you cannot go the solderless route. A wire will need to be soldered to an appropriate location on the 9X board.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:55 pm 
Panther Commander
Panther Commander

Fitted self centering units to my Eurgle today, easy fit and works like a dream, Thanks again.
:lol: :D :) ;)

Taigen Tiger 1, Panzer III
Torro T35/85.* WSM T35/85
Hooban Elefant
Mattarro Jagdtiger
HL 1/30 M4 & M26
VS King Tiger, Leo

Post Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:26 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Hello to Australia,
yesterday i got my turnigy.
Only 3 hours later it was flashed, the modification for my PC-Flightsimulator was done, and also
the backlight was installed.

Now i have an great Radio, with all the functions for my tank.
Here in germany an similar Radio from Graupner or Robbe will cost about 300 to 500 Dollars.
So the turnigy is a real LowBudget Radio with the all professional funktions.

In the next weeks i will order all the El-Mod Parts (Tankmodul and "Sound"-Blaster).

Can anyone please post the filesettings for these?
I wanna test them with the eePe and later with my ElMod Tank.

Thats my tank:

I got it at the summer festival at asiatam here in germany.
It was an great event.

But in the long german winter evenings, there will be mad some changes.

Best wishes from germany

Robert

Board index » Electronics » Radio Systems » Turnigy 9x