[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Opening up a Turnigy 9x
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » Radio Systems » Turnigy 9x

Post subject: Opening up a Turnigy 9x
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:30 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Is there anything important I need to know before I start opening up a Turnigy 9x transmitter? I purchased one from RC Tanks Australia this weekend (for a Tamiya Tiger I I'm still in mid build for) and it arrived today, however I can hear that there is a loose component rattling around inside the transmitter itself. It could be a piece of broken plastic from shipping, but it sounds more like something small and metal (screw? nut?) - in any case I don't want to power the transmitter up until I resolve it in case it lands on a board and creates a dead short.

So, going back to my original question - any traps for young players when it comes to opening the transmitter up?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Opening up a Turnigy 9x
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:57 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Yes it would be best to open it up first and get the screw out if that is what it is. In fact you should open it anyway up as you will then find the ISP interface located inside. I doubt that it will be the ISP interface making the sound BUT it is located in there and can move around.

The ISP interface is put inside the transmitter as it will not fit in t he battery compartment using the AA battery pack - it will fit there if you change to a LiPo

tkr9x_LiPo.jpg

If it is a small thinish silver screw just check that it is not the lever adjusting screw for the throttle (left side looking from back) - That screw is backed off a bit during assembly. If a black screw check that it is not one for the main PCB. If you cant find where it may of come from don't worry too much as I often find extra surprises in the 9X.

Cheers
Kevin G

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:11 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Found the culprit - it was a chunky silver screw. The only place it appeared to fit was a large screw hold in the centre of the middle PCB on the front side of the transmitter (in the same screw channel as the mount for the neck strap).

Powered up and everything looks good, though it came up with an error about reseting all of the switches, and I can't seem to work out how to clear "MGN".

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:31 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi again

That is the second of those screws that I know have that has worked a way loose. The guy usually responsible for that screw must be on holidays from the factory.

You have come across the good old Switch Warning. I strongly suggest that you read up the ER9X Wiki guide (there is no and never has been any printed 9X/ER9X manual)

http://openrcforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide

All switches at startup must be in NEUTRAL position. Push all switches toward the back with the exception of the 3 position ID switch which must be in the middle position.

All warnings can be turned on or off in the radio setup. However I suggest keeping the switch warning on as ALL control units calibrate at startup. SO if you turned on your Tamiya tank with the MGN warning ON you would have no proper functioning of the cannon/gun fire.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:45 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

oh yeah I should point out that tanker9X being a tankers mod of ER9X which is used for planes uses tank terms not aircraft ones hence....

For the 4 main sticks:
RUD = STR (steering)
THR = MTR (motor control - forward/backward/acceleration)
ELE = GUN (main gun elevation - Gun fire and machine gun fire if desired)
AIL = TUR (turret control)

For the Switches
MGN = Main machine gun
XGN = Extra machine gun/alternate main gun fire
AUX = Auxiliary switch (use for smoke or whatever)
ON1 = Tank ignition
OFF = pretty self explanatory
ON2 = switch for lights etc.
ENG = Separate switch to turn engine off BUT keep all other function on
SND = Sound bank selection
CAN = Main cannon fire

And finally a pot is renamed to VOL so that you can assign it to control your tank volume

Unfortunately the TAMIYA system doesn't offer very many of these controls but they are there if in future you wish to upgrade from the Tamiya MU
Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Board index » Electronics » Radio Systems » Turnigy 9x