[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Challenger 2
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » British Tanks » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Challenger 2
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:43 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

A bit more done since last update.

The drivers hatch has had the grab handle fitted.
Fixing strips added to the front mud flaps.
Moulded tie down loops removed and replaced with metal ones on the front and side of the hull.
Strap attachment bars added to the top and bottom of the Barrel racks on the rear.
Wire spool rack added to jerrycan rack at the rear.

Here's the pics

There are quite a number of the tie down loops to replace with metal ones (16 on each side, and 5 on the front). No25 size Staples are pretty much the right size for these, and saved me from having to bend these up by hand.

The wire spool rack on the back of the jerrycan rack is different on the tank I am modelling, so this needed changing too.
I used the wire spool from the H/L add ons, and built the rack around it. I used the moulded on rack on the spool, and added the rest of the new rack using plasticard strip.

Next job will be the Thermal Exhaust Cover fitting brackets. These I think are on all Challenger 2s regardless of whether or not the added armour has been fitted. The exhaust covers have been in use since 1998. Even the prototype Challenger 2 (V5) at Bovington has these brackets.

More to follow soon

Paul

Post Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:29 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Not much more done.

The thermal exhaust cover brackets are now fitted.

The right hand side is exactly the same.

And I have painted the rear light cluster lenses too

They have all had a coat of Tamiya clear red or clear orange as appropriate. The ones on the right have then had a coat of Tamiya chrome silver over the clear coates. the ones on the left do not get the silver as these will have the LEDs behind them.

Waiting now on leo 2 headlights from AFV which I will mod to look like the Challenger ones. Once they arrive I can crack on with the front armour bracket and its accompanying details.

Paul

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:25 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Good stuff Scalawag, coming along well mate, I didn't know anything about the Chally but it seems to be a good looking tank to build from the modern armour plenty of details in it which some are severely lacking. (I like detail lol)

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:04 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Gra,

Thanks mate I am really enjoying this build, and as you know I love my detail too. There are lots of details you can pick out on the Chally 2, and withe chobham and Dorchester add on reactive armour packs there is a lot you can do with it too.

H/L have done a really nice job on this one too.

Paul

Post Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:17 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Following a suggestion from a colleague on another forum, I spent this morning putting Milliput weld beads on the fittings and brackets along the side of the hull.

I had confirmation too that my parts are on the way from AFV, so I will be able to crack on with the headlights and front end when they arrive. :D :D

Paul

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:23 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I just realised on the photos I have that the welds on the thermal exhaust cover brackets are only on the sides, so I have removed the weld beads from across the bottom of the brackets on mine too.

I am itching to get paint on this tank now, but I still have the large bracket at the front of the hull for the add on armour to do. This requires moving the headlights onto the top of the new bracket so I decided I would change the H/L ones for ones with lenses. I am still waiting for these to arrive so no paint till then

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:04 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I am just contemplating which colour to use for the base colour on this tank. I am erring towards maybe Tamiya XF-13 Japanese Army Green.

I am trying to achieve the look in the following pics which I have been using for reference. What are your suggestions for the base colour?

Thanks

Paul

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:41 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

So in spite of not having the headlights yet I decided to crack on with the plate at the front of the tank which helps support the front add on armour when it is fitted.

I don't have any drawings or measurements for this item so I have had to work purely from photos. One of the things I am really enjoying with modelling modern armour is the wealth of Hi Res colour pictures available. makes things like this much easier to do. Here is a front shot of the tank I am modelling which shows this plate.

so first job was to remove the existing headlights and their brackets, and the moulded on detail for the lighting conduits which I will also be replacing once the headlights are fitted. It is not too crucial that the remains of these look a little scruffy as they will be covered by more detail yet to be added.

Next the basic shape of the plate was cut from 1mm thick plasticard.

and 1mm thick standoffs where added to the rear of this panel.

I then added the two small plates which sit behind the headlight mounts, these are made from .5mm thick plasticard. Also I marked the positions for the fixing bolts, and the plate was glued in position.

The holes for the fixing bolts will be drilled through the plate and the hull once the glue has dried, and the bolts and washers added.

more to follow soon

Paul

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:11 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Fixing bolts now added.

these have are m1.6 bolts that have a 2mm head. I got the bolts and washers from here

http://www.prime-miniatures.co.uk/catalog/hex-bolts

Paul

Post Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:56 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

looks good Scalawag, I always try to put pins through the styrene if it's a large piece as it will hold in place better and won't get knocked off, bolt heads certainly make a big difference. :D

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » British Tanks » 1/16 Scale Builds