[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - M2A3 Bradley
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » US Tanks » M1 Abrams » All Other Scales

Post subject: M2A3 Bradley
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:45 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hey Team,

I understand that the Bradley is clearly not an Abrams - but, as it is the closest category I could find to slot this project in.

I currently have a 1/18 Bravo Team, US M3A2 on order from the US and am getting together the other pieces of kit to make this go from a GIJOE-esque child's toy to a remote controlled, IR battling, sound emitting big child's toy. ahem.

The pieces I have in mind (and please offer advice where relevant as I am flying totally blind) are as follows:

Model and mechanics:
HL Panzer III - to salvage the lower hull and internal electrics, engines, wheels and arms to provide the RC platform.
M4A1 Sherman sprockets and tracks - I plan to use 4 of the rear sprockets as they are the closest resemblance I can find to the Bradley's. That and the tracks are nice and low profile.

Electrics and Controller:
Mako2 - This unit seems to be for me as it closes some of the gaps the TK20 and DBC3 leave open.
TBS Benedini - I want the specific sounds that the main weapon, TOW and engine emit - no idea how this interfaces with the Mako2, but nothing ventured nothing earnt.
Turnigy9x - As far as I know this is the tankers weapon of choice due a customised firmware that allows greater control of the unit.

As stated before if anyone can offer some advice, or trades on some of these units to keep cost down I would be most appreciative.

Pictures and updates to follow when the unit arrives - should be around Feb 6th.

Thanks for reading.

Post subject: Re: M2A3 Bradley
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:55 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI Patton

Just quickly the MAKO2 is such an awesome unit that most people forget what it actually is :)

The MAKO is simply an IR interpreter. That really is it's main function. It doesn't exert any control over the motors or other aspects of control. So it doesn't/won't interface with the Benedini sound unit.

What can interface with the Benedini sound unit is the RC2HL board. Channel 1-4 from your receiver is sent to the RC2HL board and here the signals are split with one line going the the RC2HL processor and the other line to a separate 1-4 AUX output. You connect the Benedini unit to the AUX outs on the RC2HL.

So in your case you could look at:

Heng Long RX18 - as the main control for the drive/turret system and IR battle
RC2HL - to allow use of the Turnigy 9X 2.4 ghz radio
6 channel HKT6A receiver

Now your biggest cost is the Benedini - probably as much as the 9X and RX18. You would then connect Aux 1-4 from the RC2HL to CH 1-4 in on the Benedini

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:54 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Damn, I was hoping to capitalise on the feature set the Mako2 delivered (i.e. Tamiya Battle/class programming/) being it the Bradley is a light tank and all.

Admittedly, I have done no research on the RC2HL but would 4 channels be enough to cover the following?

Engine sounds (start, idle, load)
Cannon (TOW)
MG (Main Cannon)
Turret sound (elevation, movement)

I was running on the assumption that the newer Heng Longs would have the RX18 in them so was obviously fixing on using that with the Mako2 - however that plan has been shifted somewhat.

Am I reading you right in that there is no application for the Mako2 in a RX18/TBS Benedini/RC2HL config?

Thanks for the information Phyre, you have given me some things to ponder on that old drawing board.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:28 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Patton

Of course you can use the MAKO2 with the setup I suggested. You just can't connect a Benedini sound card to it. The Benedini connects to the RC2HL or receiver not the MAKO or RX18.

My point was that the MAKO is the master of IR battle - it does IR, not sound.

Your sytem will work as planned with each board doing what it is best at

RC2HL - converts your 2.4 GHz receiver signals to what the RX18 understands
RX-18 - drives your tank, turns turret and elevates guns,...
MAKO2 - looks after the IR battle functions
Benedini - does all of your custom sounds.

With regards to the Benedini - I have not used one so ..... BUT no you are not limited to 4 channels you can run as many channels as your receiver has into the Benedini. All that has to happen is 1-4 have to also go to the RC2HL

For Example

Receiver - CH1 - RC2HL 1 - Benedini
Receiver - CH2 - RC2HL 2 - Benedini
Receiver - CH3 - RC2HL 3 - Benedini
Receiver - CH4 - RC2HL 4 - Benedini
Receiver - CH5 - Benedini
Receiver - CH6 - Benedini

Also regarding the Benedini - the RC2HL, MAKO, RX18 will all have ZERO effect on the Benedini - It will only react to the DIRECT signals from the receiver. The RC2HL doesn't affect the signal to the Benedini it simply acts as a 'Y' lead.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:42 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for much for clearing that up for me, you will need to pardon me if I appear ignorant - RC is not my background, so am very new to controllers, receivers, signal splicing and what not.

Given that the project has scaled up in cost significantly I will be approaching it in stages. I will get the RX18, RC2HL and 9x and 6 Channel receiver up and running initially, and then as I settle in to the soldering biz will add the Mako and finally the TBS Benedini to complete the model.

The hardest part I think will be cutting up the Panzer for the lower hull, from what I have seen its a great little model. Especially when it is contrasted against the M2A3 build - there is going to be some serious sanding, rebuilding and styrene plating required to get it up to a resemblance of whats currently rolling around the Middle East.

Thanks again.

Board index » US Tanks » M1 Abrams » All Other Scales