[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Tamiya Fast Attack in NOD Arid Zone Camouflage
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Other RC Vehicles » Land » Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle

Post subject: Tamiya Fast Attack in NOD Arid Zone Camouflage
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:39 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle

In a moment of madness I finally decided to get a Tamiya remote control vehicle. The Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle looks like a bit a fun and was available at a reasonable price from my local hobby shop so I figured what the hell?

300058496.jpg

First up it appears that there are at least two versions of this kit on the market, one with an included ESC and one without. I got the one without and then blew more cash on a Tamiya TEU-104BK electronic speed controller (ESC) and black sports tuned motor. Again what the hell. At least I'm helping to keep the local hobby store local. I stuck with a Tamiya ESC & motor because they had Tamiya written on them no other reason.

IMG_2923.jpg

Ok so on to the kit. At first look at the instructions it seemed that assembly might require thought. I don't like thinking so I was pleasantly surprised to find assembly was a breeze. It was such a nice change to screw Part A into Part B without having to make Part A and Part B in the first place. Needless to say assembly was completed within a few nights. 10 pm to midnight is the only quiet time I get in my house so it was just a few late nights and the vehicle was assembled and ready for painting.

Now about the model itself. AFTER I bought the kit I had a look on the net for examples of the actual vehicle for ideas on painting. Now here is where things could have gone one way or another. The Tamiya Fast Attack vehicle is NOTHING like anything used by the US Army. The closest thing I could find was the Desert Patrol Vehicle was built by Chenowth Racing Products, Inc (pictured below).

11_1277063175.jpg

As interesting as a project would of been to convert the FAV to something resembling a DPV, time, money and desire just didn't allow it. Thus since the FAV is a 'fantasy' vehicle I decided to keep it in the fantasy realm. My boys love Command & Conquer and are NOD fans so they voted for a NOD Raider Buggy prototype.

FAV_2363_800px.JPG

Such a vehicle is best suited to desert conditions so I keep with a desert camouflage pattern using Tamiya Light Sand as the base colour with patches of Model Masters Afrika Khakibraun , Signalbraun and Schokoladenbraun. It came as a bit of a shock to see how close this combination came to looking like Aussie Army Vehicle camouflage. The NOD patches were custom printed decals on Testors transparent decal paper and the numbers came from some left over tank decals.

FAV_2362_800px.JPG

While in the US Phil & I got nice desert camouflage outfits from Bass Pro Shop and thought this pattern would be cool on the driver. For figures there is no going past Vallejo paints they ROCK. I used German Camouflage Orange as the base, with Khaki patches and medium brown splinters. This got really close to what I wanted but I wanted also those little stones that Stormin' Norman used to wear in Desert Storm so I added them in. The 'stones' were German Black Brown spots with a dot of Offwhite in the middle. Olive Drab for the helmet and Periscopes for the lenses of the goggles. Once painted the usual weathering processes were applied, an oil wash, dry brushing and a coat of dullcote to finish off.

FAV_2365_800px.JPG

What about the electrics? Nothing special, a standard Tamiya ESC, Tamiya Sport Tuned Black can motor, and cheap Hobby King standard size servo for steering. For a radio a Hobby King 2.4gHz 2 channel job because they are dirt cheap AND the receivers will also bind to the Turnigy 9X. As for a battery I have used a Turnigy 2200 LiPo because I was keen to keep all the wires within the body of the vehicle.

FAV_2368_800px.JPG

How does she run? Beautifully, just as you would expect 'out of the box' from Tamiya. Though the first real 'hit out' of the vehicle did provide one gripe. There are only a few parts that don't get screwed together on the kit. One of these parts is the left arm of the driver. On the first outing over rough terrain the left arm got 'blown off' in action. Thankfully, an eagle eyed MBRCTC member was able to find it for me. So the only bit of advice I have to give is to make sure your arms are SECURE. Other than that the FAV is a great kit, easy to assemble and heaps of FUN.

FAV_2369_800px.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post subject: Re: Tamiya Fast Attack in NOD Arid Zone Camouflage
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:28 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Looking great!
But, could you add some camo netting to boost the effect of real deal?
If not spread over cabin, you could make a rolled one to put on back of FAV.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:18 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Will do Kamaz,..... someday. Looking for some spare tryes and 1/10 scale tools, jerry cans and the like. But for now just havin' fun with the kids.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

And?
Who is beating who in race your Fast Attack or their Buggies?
(would like to se your face after they leave you in dusty cloud! :D )

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

I would like to thank you for posting the Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle. I just received mine on Wednesday 12 December 2012. Looking forward to building/putting it together, installing the electronic, charging the batteries and then running it. You did a nice job on building it and thank you for the photos of the FAV. :D

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:40 pm 
Panther Commander
Panther Commander

:D :D :D I can't believe it, no flashing gun!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Taigen Tiger 1, Panzer III
Torro T35/85.* WSM T35/85
Hooban Elefant
Mattarro Jagdtiger
HL 1/30 M4 & M26
VS King Tiger, Leo

Board index » Other RC Vehicles » Land » Tamiya Fast Attack Vehicle