[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - is my mako faulty??
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » MAKO

Post subject: is my mako faulty??
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:30 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

hi i got a used mako board late mk1 and when fitted. i can fire and hit Tamiya tanks but i dont register any hits ( have tried 5/10 shots) have tried it on 2 different H/L's but same results is it me being a mug or is mako faulty.
was cheap and thought i'd try before I spent loads on the latest mako

Post subject: Re: is my mako faulty??
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:37 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi teddyt

First up I was to again let everyone know about the QC process on MAKO. All MAKO, MAKO2 and RCXHL boards are tested for correct operation BEFORE shipping. This is so that if a problem does occur in the troubleshooting process I can pretty much eliminate a faulty board. In the vast majority of issues I get asked about the problem has been (sorry to say) user error OR other parts causing the problem.

If the MAKO is operating correctly in all other ways but one then it is most likely that the problem is not with the MAKO. The only exception to this is with the MAKO2 and the track recoil blocking function. If the there is a stalled motor, short circuit or other wiring fault in your tank that sends a surge through the system that surge can fry the relay on MAKO2 causing it to be come stuck in the ON position or the OFF position. The MAKO may continue to work fine but there is no recoil blocking if the relay is stuck at ON or no motors at all if the relay is stuck OFF.

Since your MAKO is sending IR then the program is running on the micro. You can not have only one part of the program running and not another part. It is all or nothing. Hence I would say the MAKO chip is fine and that the problem exists with the signal line from the IR sensor back to the MAKO chip.

Now first thing to do - if you have a MAKO with an onboard LED you should remove the LED jumper so it does not flash. You do not say if you have a Hammerhead connected or if you are trying to use hit indicating LEDs. On MAKO1 the hit leds and the input from the IR sensor (mushroom) are the same. If the on board hit indicating LED is on along with additional hit LEDs there is not enough signal in the line back to MAKO to register a hit so you should disable the onboard LED by removing the jumper.

If the above did not sort out the problem then you will need a multimeter to test the continuity of connection from MAKO all the way to your mushroom. But first I would try a different mushroom and I most certainly would not use a blue Taigen one. 50% of the time I have such a problem it is the mushroom that is at fault. Looking at your MAKO output connector (top right) numbering from the top of the board towards the centre

1. IR+
2. IR-
3. GND (HBU B-)
4. IR signal from mushroom (HBU Sig)
5. V+ (HBU 4.5V)

Your first two are OK if you are sending IR. 3-4 all go to the mushroom. Below is a pic of the pin outs of the mushroom. You need to make sure there is no break in continuity between the MAKO output and the mushroom.

IMG_3303_mod.jpg

So finally in response to your original question. Since you can fire IR it is highly unlikely the MAKO is faulty and that the problem exists with your line to and or your IR mushroom. If you can't sort out the issue than you are welcome to send it back here for me to check. If there is infact a problem I will fix and send the unit back FOC. If there isn't a problem it is a mere $3 for return postage. I will also update the MAKO chip to the latest firmware as well.

Cheers
Kevin Grannum

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post subject: Re: is my mako faulty??
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:26 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

well thank you Kevin,for the response and offer of fixing if it is the board. as i say I got it used, so no history with it? and did'nt expect you to fix it. I have tried it out in two heng/longs a king tiger and a panther, both giving same response. thats the only reason I thought it might be the board, however I have spoken to Tankman here in the UK, and he has said alot of the time h/l put the mushroom board in back to front!!! so I will try this out tomorrow. and he also stated the your boards are very robust and doubts it is a board fault :) have been using heng long mushrooms

I will re -attack it in the morning and see if i can resolve it using the tips you mentioned
once again a big thanks
Graham

Board index » Electronics » MAKO