[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Help resolving RC5HL bugs
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » RC5HL

Post subject: Help resolving RC5HL bugs
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:02 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

G'day this is my first post so hello to every one.
I am upgrading my Stug 3 and following all the videos, recently got my 9xr, frsky djt and v8fr2 hm reciever.
I have been trying to get my rc5hl to run for a couple of weeks now and still am having some problems wondering if someone can help.
When i fire the gun the tank shuts down sometimes and will start up sometimes also holding TRN on causes turret to elevate. Checked template set for rc5hl and for RTEA jumper on the board is at the top close to the cap, board spaced away (outside of tank for testing) from motors, servos etc so there is no EMI.
I have built the track recoil board and fit it, sometimes it works? and just did the mod for gun recoil to servo which is working well next is to fit the servo for gun elevation.
Thanks in advance I will keep tying to get this to work.

Post subject: Re: Help resolving RC5HL bugs
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:35 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI Paul

First up the RC5HL works fine the problems you are experiencing are due to an improper setup and not 'bugs' with the RC5HL.

Next up to help out quickly please post as much info as you possibly can. Pics also are great.

1. If you have the 9XR please use eePe to download your Radio setting and post them here. 9 out of 10 times I can see the problem right away with the eePe files.

2. Pics help

3. Always double check you wiring. The RC5HL board is thoroughly marked. Please make sure that signal wires (yellow/white) are going to signal pins (closest to the IC). Also make sure that CH1 is going to IN 1 on the receiver. IN1 is closest to the programming pins and IN5 closest to the Switch pins.

4. FR SKY receivers do not require a jumper selection the jumper can be removed or placed in the position for 6 channel receivers. For FrSky receivers:
CH1-IN1
CH2-IN2
CH3-IN3
CH4-IN4
CH5-IN5

5. The TRN switch is a MOMENTARY switch it is not designed to be held on. It should be held on ONLY til the gun fires and then released - The TRN switch triggers the Recoil servo mix running on CH7. Not only will holding the TRN switch on cause elevation but will also keep the recoil servo held back in the recoiled position.

Hopefully some of the above may help but if not send the eepe file and pics of your connections.

On a side note - I would humbly suggest a rethink on using a servo for gun elevation. There is a reason why $$$$$ camera stabilization units use motors and NOT servos. Motors will give you better control than servos. Even the humble Heng Long elevation motor setup when controlled properly will out perform servos.

First up you will need to make sure that the firmware running on your RC5HL is running the gun elevation program on SW2. If so switch 2 turns on when you push the elevation stick up. A relay is connected to SW2 and wired to change polarity when switched, This will give you rotation of the motor one way with up stick and rotation back the other way with down stick. A geko unit is then attached to the system. Geko uses the CH3 (or other CH) for proportional control of the elevation. The motor control chip used on GEKO are the same ones used in the EL Mod units BTW. May sound complicated BUT will be much simpler in the long run than using a servo.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:07 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Umm sorry yeh I know the RC5HL isnt buggy that was a stupid subject line and not what I meant at all.
A more accurate line would have been bugs in my system.
Thanks heaps for the info working on it now keep you posted.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:41 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Bravo,
Phyrephish you legend. Ok so all I had wrong was the jumper and ch2,3 flipped to 3,2 input I was following the instructional video on 8ch receiver setup obviously dos not apply to this one.
I knew that the TRN shouldnt be held in just noticed that this was happening thought it might help in diagnoses.
Anyway took your advice on keeping the elevation HL and setting up relay and a GEKO.
Love your work.

Board index » Electronics » RC5HL