[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Setting Up the RC5HL with the 9X and Tgy 8 channel receiver
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » RC5HL

Post subject: Setting Up the RC5HL with the 9X and Tgy 8 channel receiver
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:56 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Yet another RC5HL setup video. Most important with the newer firmware running on the RC5HL is the longer initialisation period at startup. This video also shows how to trigger the operation of Switch 1 and Switch 2

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post subject: Re: Setting Up the RC5HL with the 9X and Tgy 8 channel recei
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:44 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hi I purchased 3 off your RC5HL units (old style) and I have connected them to my Turnigy 9X (which is running the standard out of the box software).
My question is, I can start and run the tanks but I can not get the machine gun or main tank to fire and also the airsoft gun does not fire. I have forward/reverse and steering on the RH stick and turrent Left/right on the LH stick.
The gun elevates on either forward or rearwards of the LH stick.
I have watched the video's on here and noted that you use differant switches for your operations ie. the 3 position switch for engine on and the 2 rear switches for machine gun and main gun.
How do you set them up to operate? I have looked in the AUX channel menu and can not get them to register as a switch. All I can get is the throttle hold knob, Pitch hold Knob, and the other adjustable knob. plus the gear up switch (Front one off the 2 rear switches on the transmitter's right hand top face.
This is my first modern computer type controller and I know the problem is me (an old fashioned duffer ).
Is there an idiots guide on how to setup these switches or an video to show them.
Regards Denzil

Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:07 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Denzil

The exact issue you are encountering with the standard firmware is the reason why tankER9X came about in the first place. The inability to assign logical functions to the switches is a huge drawback to the stock firmware. Quite simply you will not be able to assign the 3 pos switch as can be done with ER9X.

I have only used the stock firmware for a week many years ago before moving to ER9X and have only revisited it once after that to do a video for the RC2HL. Typically the Gear switch will operate on CH5 you will need to program the radio so that in one position it is neutral and the other at +100%. This you can use to turn on/off the tank.

AS for the gun fire - if you have the gun elevating up and down then you are almost there. I do not know if you can assign a switch as with ER9X but you will be able to trigger the guns with maximum stick deflection. If the guns are not firing it is because the elevation channel is not reaching its maximum with maximum stick movement. Because these radios are setup for planes they will have limits or even switches imposed on the maximum movement of the control surfaces (ELE, RUD,...) What you need to do is make sure that your elevation stick allows for maximum movement. Again I don't know how to do this off hand. Once done pushing stick to extremes will fire the guns

The video below is for the 2HL and may be useful up to the break to show how to setup the stick mode. The 5HL uses CH5 to turn on so you will need to program the gear switch if possible to do that.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:27 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Thank you for your help have now sorted the radio out and everthing is working perfectly. I had to go into the menu and sort out the end point functions to max 120%. and everthing then sprang into live.
Looking at your new firmware what would I need and is there a tuturial on how to do this, to "flash" my radio to this spec?. Or would an old duffer which is computer illiterate be better to just leave things alone ?
thank you Denzil

Post Posted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:06 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Denzil

The first time I looked at what needed to be done to flash the 9X I baulked myself. But it is actually pretty simple as far as the soldering goes. The hardest issue for me was getting the drivers for the USB programmer to install.

There are squillions of videos on youtube on how to add the interface to you 9X. Just google search custom firmware 9X or the like. There is also the solderless Smartie Board that you simply fit to the back of the 9X pcb. Nice little board if it works but like anything it is not 100% reliable. Or you can take out your PCB mail it to me for flashing ($25). The PCB are thin enough to go a letter post. To the UK it would be about a 20+ day turnaround.

I would say go to ER9X if you plan for more tanks. But if you just want the one and it all works then good enough alone.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:06 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Im afraid I cant make it work and I dont know whats going wrong. Im using the 9 channel fly sky transmitter, with the smartieparts board and using the latest tanker9x software. I follow all the steps on the videos but it seems to be not working. The green light on the rc5hl doesnt light, no blinking and not steady, just dead.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help. :)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Rad

Sorry to hear about your problems. First up I assume that even thought the green LED does not light that the red power LED is lighting up. If no LEDs are lighting up then the board and hence receiver is not being supplied with power and nothing will work.

Always remember turn your radio on first. Have you got a model selected with a mix enabled for all 5 channels?

Have you

1. In radio Setup changed to

Channel Order - RTEA
Sick Mode - MODE 3?

2. For the Tank Setting gone to templates and cleared the existing mix and then applied the RC5HL template?

After doing these steps check to see if everything is correct as per the video.

If this is all good power up your receiver and plug a servo into ch1 to see if your receiver is bound and operating correctly. Faulty TGY receivers are common.

If you are happy your radio and receiver are working. Connect up to the RC5HL remembering

1. Place the receiver selection jumper into the correct place for the TGY receiver
and
2. Connect CH1 to IN1
CH2 to IN3
CH3 to IN2
CH4 to IN4
CH5 to IN5

Note the signal wires go to the inside of the board

Try again

The green LED lights up when it is receiving correct signals from your receiver. If it is not lighting up there is a problem with either or
a) with the receiver and or how it is connected to the RC5HL
b) There are no mixes for CH2 to 5 on your radio or receiver is not bound.
and then there is always
c) the RC5HL may infact have fault.

If you think that it is the RC5HL you are welcome to send back to me or possibly to my RC5HL expert over in the Netherlands to check. If a unit is infact faulty we will send a replacement FOC. However, if a unit is not faulty we will charge return postage of a whopping $3.

Cheers
Kevin Grannum

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:48 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Sorry but Im stupid. I just connected the cables wrong. I revised it 10 times and 10 times wrong. It was completelly my fault and now it seems to work properly.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Now I'll share it at my tank club. And you may expect more orders from Spain :)

Post Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:23 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Rad

Don't feel too bad I connect things up wrong all the time. Good to hear everything is now working.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Well after a couple of days playing here and there I have some questions:

Is there any way of switching on/off lights, smoke, and rising the volume up and down with the controller? Do I need to install some relays? Wich ones?

And other question is when I shoot the gun (airsoft gun) the recoil and the shoot is not at the same time. What can I do? Can I use one lever for shooting and other one for the recoil? And how can I do it?

Thanks you.

Board index » Electronics » RC5HL