[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - TAIPAN
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » Taipan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: TAIPAN
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hey Darryl

Sound doesn't get louder because you haven't edited the engine sounds? One of the nice things SGS has over EL Mod is that you can set the volume level easily for each speed step via software. To do this with the El Mod you need a sound editor and manually adjust the volume levels of all the engine sounds.

Unfortunately when it comes to sound most people think louder is better and I have noticed that on some of the custom El Mod sound sets almost all sounds have been normalised to 0 dB. Actually a lot of the custom sets (not the El Mod made ones) are terribly over 'maximised' and really can be considered as distorted. So if every sound is made as loud as possible there is no 'headroom' left for anything to get louder.

To fix your EL MOd sounds get a sound editor and reduce the idle sound level to about 60% and then adust the level of all the engine sounds up to say 95%. El Mod can have up to 30 or so engine sound files which I personally think is overkill so it will not be a quick fix.

However, thanks for your input. There are 2 ways Taipan could address this. Having each sound file set at it's particular level (easy) OR engine volume could be linked to throttle (a little harder and makes the board a little bigger)

Cheers
Kevin G

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:01 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

It seems to me that the engine sound and tank sound should
be hooked to the throttle. Elmod said they were working on this.
Darryl Usher

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:47 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Darryl,

I had a think about it last night and linking the throttle to the volume of the engine will be a lot easier than I first thought ( a whole lot easier). It won't mean an increase in either components, board size or costs.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:47 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Not wanting to jeopardize you Dec ship date. Don't know how you will do it!
But I think a 2.4 link from turret to hull, so you could have 2 wires to turret or no wires if you used a battery, then you could
endless turret rotation. Most 2.4 sets have multiple RX support.
Darryl Usher

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:04 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

NO need for ANY wires up into the turret really. If you have one of those massive Chinese Z tanks you could even put a small second lipo up in there.

Modern Tanks have a whole range of features you could add and I'm sure that this will eventually happen. The idea that 8 channels is not enough gains momentum day by day. That's why I'm happy to have 8 channels as the minimum for operation of Taipan.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:16 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

If you used a servo for elevation barrel stabilisation would be easy; hobby king make a 15$ unit that would do it plug and play

Unlimited turret rotation is easy with a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYC24A-Slip-Rin ... 3f117382b2

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:59 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Zak that is an awesome find. You have outdone yourself - Two gems in a week. Must be boring in the bunker.

You are quite right - all of my worries about unlimited turret rotation are now gone with that little beauty.

Thanks

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:05 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Using slip rings is not grate, if you have MG and IR you need
about 18 contacts. I would like zero connections between
turret and hull.
Darryl Usher

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:41 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Craig, A long time ago I did look at a type of slip ring. You could probably find the posts on the old Hobby Havoc forum ('bout 3 years ago). Those cheap 4 connector anti-twist devices used for phone cords. But with only 4 connections I just didn't follow on. Also if you look at my work I have only been building Stugs, Jagpanzers, Brummbars and the like recently so yeah I admit 'guilty as charged for dropping the ball on rotating turrets'. :oops:

Still won't take me long to get up to speed. I have ordered a 12 wire unit for a trial.

3 wires - IR detector
2 wires - IR emitter
2 wires - LED Hit indicators
2 wires - MG
2 wire - Elevation motor or 3 wires if a servo

11 or 12 wires required for basic IR operation ie NO servo recoil :(

A few of the problems you raise could be solved by the control board being built around the slip ring. Imagine if you will a RX18 with a big hole in the middle for the slip ring. All of the slip ring wires could be hard wired to the board.

Just a thought

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Board index » Electronics » Taipan