[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - GEKO - A twin motor controller for 1/35 scale tanks
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » Geko & Sirvoe

Post subject: GEKO - A twin motor controller for 1/35 scale tanks
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:20 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey All

Gekos are back and in numbers. As a twin motor controller it is possible to use GEKO to drive a small tank or robot. In the video below GEKO is setup to control a Tamiya gearbox in dual stick mode. Right stick controls right motor and left stick the left motor.

A small and extremely economical way to drive a small tank

Don't forget for larger tanks GEKO is typically set to control the turret and elevation motors providing true proportional control.

On a side note GEKO uses the same chip as the far more expensive EL Mod units for turret and elevation control. However, unike EL Mod an entire microprocessor is devoted just to turret and elevation control providing more realistic control. PLUS with an option for various supply voltages it can supply the speed to turn the turrets of modern tanks.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post subject: Re: GEKO - A twin motor controller for 1/35 scale tanks
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Hi Kevin,
I apologize because re-reading my first post I have noticed that I missed to add some basic info :
- I usually play with gliders, offroad 1:10 scalers, elys and some other rc-ized "stuff".
- I use a Turnigy 9X with er9x onboard and tank model setup extracted from tankER9X (it works great !!!) and your RC5HL

I'm used to custom all my models, I like to understand "how it's made and works" :)

The first thing I noticed opening my tank is that elevation and rotation systems are really low-level items: slow, inaccurate and not proportional so I decided to swap for a servo solution.

For elevation servo, I tried to remove radio internal spring ad it's fine as I expected, also I trigger vertical stabilization with a ely gyro (wonderful effect). Maximum servo travel is locked with radio EPA. For turret rotation I modified a standard servo for continuos rotation, added a bevel gear and modded circular HL gears to fulfill its job.

Obviously I update my model setup according with this new configuration, so ch3 is used only for elevation and ch1 for rotation. Original switch are for Main gun and machine gun

My problem has an electronic/logical nature : I can't bypass RC5HL pluggin' servo directly to my receiver because RC5HL doesn't start and, again, I can't use Y link for same reason. Using my own servos for 1-6 channel and HL RX18 at the same time seems to be not possible :(

I read and saw your thread/video about GEKO and Sirvoe: I think I don't need Sirvoe 'cause I modify my radio but for GEKO solution I have to do some other test.... and hope in a your positive answer ;-)

Board index » Electronics » Geko & Sirvoe