[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Got Smoke?
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » ASP Control Board

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Got Smoke?
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:24 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Yes make a y or run wires from switch. It doesn't matter where or what just send battery V+ and Battery V0 to the appropriate connection on the Burn Effect controller.

WHAT IS CRITICAL is that you DO NOT REVERSE the polarity. The burn effects battery voltage wires are NOT colour coded they are both black. This is the reason I do not suggest using the Smoke connector on Asp which is the easy way. The smoke connection on Asp (top left) provides battery voltage but if you get the polarity wrong it will fry components on Asp. If you want to use this connection flip over and make sure that V+ connects to the square pad and that V0 connects to the round pad.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:35 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

silly question, but i'm using the standard 7.2v that came with my taigen tank and the burn effect states to use 7.4; did you use the standard 7.2v battery in your youtube video demoing the burn effect? I think i have all that i need to make this happen, so i plan on hooking all of this up on the weekend (pray i don't solder through my asp board!)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

You are overthinking this which is going to cause you more problems.

In the drift car world (from which the BurnEffects comes) most users are installing 2 cell LiPo batteries in their vehicles. A 2 cell Lipo (7.4v) = a 6 cell NiMH (7.2v). I also use only LiPo batteries.

Basically, don't use a 12 v battery with Burn Effects

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:45 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

Alright believe it or not i have it all hooked up and working on the first try. Few questions though:

1) i thought there should be a "puff puff" effect going on when idle? There is no smoke while idling only when I accelerate, rev, and a little at startup

2) when i do rev there is a bit of delay. Not too bad but noticeable

3). Sometimes when going in reverse it seems like it gets stuck in a loop in medium speed even though full throttle. Only notice this when smoke unit is on

The pff puff is the big one though. Thought that was so cool but now my unit only smokes if i rev or go forward/backwards

Thoughts?

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:31 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

The actions are going to be dependant on the length and diameter of your tubing. Try to make the lengths of tubing as short as possible and minimise airflow resistance.

Whilst the program running on Sirvoe is going to be the same. How one connects up the smoke unit is going to differ and hence you will get different results. In an effort for conformity I have tried to set up using minimal lengths and resistance.

There is further the option of modifying the parameters in the code itself to suit your particular setup. If you can't find a solution mechanically then you can try the software approach.

Also try looking at the output direct from the burn effects unit without any tubing attached. There should be a lot of smoke being put out. If not then look at the charge in your battery as it is battery voltage that is heating the element.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:26 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

All my observations so far have been with the burn effects unit alone (no tubing yet) as i wanted to get an idea of output before adding the resistance that lenght and diameter of tubing will apply

With that said though, my battery maybe a little low so i shall try again with a full charge. Also, i dis notice in the oil reserve there are extra wicks at the top of the unit that i still need to poke down to the oil

At first i wondered if i managed to screw up the simple soldering instructions but then why would it work reving the wngine, so I believe i have it all setup correctly. Just disturbing that even in idle the light on the smoke controller doesnt even light up like it does when I accelerate and rev; but perhaps this is what low voltage may yield me?

Lastly, just double checking, there wasnt a second smoke unit setting on the sirvoe correct? Just the one?

Thanks again,

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:06 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

Puff Puff Solved

For any that follow this. There is a small adjustment on the control board of the burn effect unit. You can see that the sirvoe is pulsing signals to the control board; but unless you turn the smoke up a notch by using a screwdriver for that adjustment the puff puff will not work.

All is well now:) Now, i'll work on my tubes

Thanks again for all your help

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:42 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

It has been months since I worked on the smokers - I forgot all about that little adjustment pot. Glad to hear it was just that. I suspect that the smoke output should be a bit better now too. You will have to post a video once it is all working.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:04 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Well ,ever since I saw the video of the burn effect smoker I have h a d to have one!!!
Anyway I've got the smoker but to be honest can't follow the thread. Any chance of an installation video ??
Regards
Bob

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:45 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

Well, litterally was getting ready to shoot a vid and my radio battery went out. So perhaps another time. I've got all my tubing done. I'm fairly pleased with my results on my taigen tiger. I remember reading keep the diameter large and the distance short. So instead of finding tubing that will go in the small hole of the burn effect exhaust; why not find a tube that will cover the entire burn effect exhaust.

I purchased a garbage disposal rubber attachment (which was about 1 1/2 inch diameter one one end and 1 inch on the other). The burn effect exhaust fit perfectly in the larger end. I removed my old smoker unit to make room for the burn effect. I angled the burn effect toward the back with a slight degree incline. I then found a rubber funnel and tailored it to fit the end of the rubber disposal unit and bound the larger end to my tiger via super glue and baking soda (which i may cover up later with some rubber gasket sealant).

So, when i want the unit i simple just mate up the disposal unit to the rubber funnel and viola! Great amount of smoke and it looks kind of neat in my tank! Pictures attached.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Electronics » ASP Control Board