[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Yet MORE features can be added to Asp - Comments welcome
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » ASP Control Board

Post subject: Yet MORE features can be added to Asp - Comments welcome
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:07 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi All

Whenever I think that I've reached the limits somehow I keep finding ways to add yet more functions to Asp. Recently, a few requests/issues were brought/came to to my attention.

1. Ability to be able to turn on/on the Auto Mg sirvoe

2. What if you were already using the AUX output and did not want it linked to battle damage.

3. CH5 is supposedly the switching channel yet it only has 4 options. CH6 & CH7 have 6 each.

All these can come under a general need for more switching inputs from the radio and switching outputs on the Asp. Not possible to add more physically so ????????

Then it dawned on me - If you are using IR then there is the Gun motor output not being used. PLUS if you have done the expected mod and moved the elevation motor off the 8-pin connector then the elevation motor output is also free.

Further these are medium power switching options as they are setup to drive motors, already have back emf protection and thus should be able to directly control relays or servo control boards.

So to solve the auto mg on/off control - one can simply route the sirvoe power supply VIA the gun motor (if using IR) or thru the elevation motor if you have removed the elevation motor off the 8-pin connector.

Similarly if you have something previously on the AUX channel then you could route it via the Gun or Elevation wires on the 8-pin connector

NOTE: Both the Gun and Elevation wires on the 8-pin connector go to ground and hence you can use either 5V OR BatV . If wanting to switch on/off a LED or other low current device you WILL NEED TO USE good old Mr Ohm's law R=V/I to calculate the resistor needed.

For example if you want to put an LED on the gun wire and use the 5V supply. Most LEDs use 20 milliamps

SO

R= 5V / 0.020
R=250 ohms

Simple really

If using a 2 cell Lipo it is really 2 x 4.2V when fully charged =8.4V
R=8.4 / 0.02
R=420 Ohms

So Sid you will need to know what current your Laser uses and plug into the formula. If you are going to move the Laser over from the AUX output.

For sirvoe you can simply the 5V from the 5V on the 8-pin connector and then use either the Gun or Elevation wires for the ground. Either switch power directly to the sirvoe board OR switch the power to the servo itself (I'd do this)

Next part is how now to operate the Gun and elevation as separate switches. Well I have to add that into the program. I am planning to have these switch on CH5 at -85 and +85.

I now have a function for the second selector switch on ASp2. It will now switch between Basic and Advanced setup. So if you don't move the elevation motor off the 8-pin connector set to Basic if you have moved set to advanced and Asp will let you use the Elevation as a switch instead. If also in IR mode you will also be able then to use the Gun wire as a second switch.

Hopefully you guys can follow what is happening here. How I will implement on Asp1 is a little harder don't know as yet.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post subject: Re: Yet MORE features can be added to Asp - Comments welcome
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:23 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Due to most people is happy with what the (Crappy-neanderthal-boring) Tamiya Electronics does, I would not worry too much about adding even more features to the board. I really can not understand why people pays that huge amount of money for it when they can buy your products for 1/3 the price and zillions of new and cool features.

Anyway I asked for being able to choose the exact sound that I would like to play, but due to your board now has so many sound banks I think I wont need it (At least for a while :lol: )

So I think the only features I would be interested in, is as I also requested before, are not having the blinking lights at start (Maybe if you want to have some blinking lights at start it could be the battle unit instead of the headlights) and dont dimming the lights when taking hits. I love driving my tanks at night, and I need them for obvious reasons, specially now that Im planing to put FPV on the tanks.

I was planning to do myself to add a 4ch electronic switch on the last channel of my receiver to be able to switch between a laser diode for airsoft aiming and some extra lights, but this is not very important to me, your board has everything I want plus a ton extra.

Oh I almost forgot! I had a couple of lipos over discharged and puffed, if it would be possible to make the tank to make any kind of signal would be great. I know there are some small lipo buzzers, but when playing outside sometimes I can not heard them.

And thats all. Thanks for your efforts!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:58 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Ok Rad

You've got 2 points here:

1. The LEDS at startup sorry I can't change that. It is necessary for knowing that the system is initialising otherwise I'd have a zillion people complaining the unit won't start right away. If it really bothers you can now put the LEDS on your own switch. You could use the new features to set that up. Put the headlight onto one of the new switches say the Airsoft motor lead. Then the headlight will not turn on at all until you turn it on Problem solved :). NO flashing Headlights....FIXED. If you don't want the battle unit LEDs on then run them thru a relay and have that controlled by the new switches. So there is always a way to do what you want.

2. Battery monitoring - it's 2016 you should be using telemetry. You have the 9XR Pro - you have telemetry function. Get the FrSky XR module and directly monitor whatever you want on your radio screen and even set alarms on your radio. You can monitor the levels of each cell, total voltage, current draw, temperature even GPS location all on your 9X screen. You can set the 9X to sound an alarm or even shake when levels get below what ever you set. There are too many battery options these days to try to place an effective monitoring system on Asp. Monitors on other systems I think you will find that they don't cover everything and if you are serious you would eventually use a radio based telemetry system. I have purposely left off telemetry off Asp as the systems offered by FrSky and now Turnigy are far superior.

Again for exact sound - simple make 4 copies and put a copy into each of the 4 slots.

Funny about the laser as that is how these new changes have come about. Sid was concerned that his laser on the AUX channel would be affected by battle damage. So if you want a laser put it on the Elevation motor 8-pin as I'm sure that you will be putting the elevation motor onto it's specific output or using an elevation servo. So these new changes fixes this for you as well :)

So apart from the telemetry these new additions will fix all the points you have mentioned. Also these new features will also work in operating the telemetry. Down the track I will a have a video showing all of this.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:09 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I realised something else.....

Even if you don't have anything on these new switches - They are setup to trigger two more sounds, 119 and 120. So Rad here are two ADDITIONAL spots for user sounds. At present triggering the ele motor switch plays sound 119, airsoft motor switch plays sound 120.

Surely now we can put the user sound to rest - I think I have now lost count on the number of user sounds you can potentially trigger. :)

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:00 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Yeah, the sounds request is way sorted. :lol:

About the telemetry, I considered to buy the frsky module and receiver, but they are quite pricey. Telemetry and model matching is a nice feature but Im not sure if it would use it for more than knowing when my battery is running low. I think that is what made me to discard the new Flysky radio. http://www.banggood.com/Flysky-FS-i10-1 ... 58756.html Well, that and that it seems to not be very popular, dont know why...

About the leds and things like that, well, I will wait until having the boards inside my tanks. It has so many posibilities than Im sure I could get whathever I want in one way or another.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:39 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

awesome kevin cant wait for the video!!!!
I hope you can come up with a solution for the asp1!!!!
Seeing as how I have a couple of asp 2's on order , may swap out the asp1 to asp2 in the m1.
Only using the laser as a cool function on a modern tank!!!!

Sid

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:22 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

@ Sid - I only have Asp1 - so all of this is available on Asp1 as well. I think though to have these functions on ASp1 you will need to install a specific update which assumes that you are using the specific elevation motor output and NOT using the 8 pin connector.

Having a 6 way switch installed on the your radio will also be a big help but not essential

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:46 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

thanks kevin already set up that way , may need to look at the 6 position switch then!!!
will give the asp an upgrade when it is available

sid

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:08 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

As promised here are some videos of the new switches in action (so exciting)

Switching LEDs (remember a resistor is needed for LEDs)

Switching Relays (no resistor needed)

The new switches activate at +70 and +85% on CH5.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:59 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HL M41 Bulldog
Torro Late Tiger I
Taigen KV-1

Wish List:
Torro KingTiger