[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - servo elevation
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » ASP Control Board

Post subject: servo elevation
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:52 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

Hi Kevin,
I am having a problem setting up my Asp2.
My T-34 uses a servo for recoil, a servo for elevation and a third servo for opening and closing the drivers hatch.

I am not sure how or where to connect all these servos to the asp and to program them to my Turing 9x.

Currently I have the servo for opening/closing the drivers hatch directly wired into channel 8 on the receiver
The recoil servo is connected to a “recoil sirvoe “ board which is plugged into the recoil port on the main board.
These two connections work fine. :D

The elevation servo is my problem. :?
Where would this connect to the Asp, and should it use a “sirvoe” board programmed for elevation?

I have tried plugging the servo directly into channel 3 ( elevation) but this stops the tank from starting up via 100% on channel 5. Not sure why ? :?:

Can you help so that the transmitter stick works the elevation servo.
Cheers
Steve

Post subject: Re: servo elevation
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:19 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Steve, Kevin may be away on vacation cause he hasn't responded in a while, not sure. But I definitely know you have to use a spare channel for elevation. Sirvoes are not made to handle that. I'm not sure why it would conflict with your ch5 function, though. Got to be something in your turnigy programming.
hth

HL M41 Bulldog
Torro Late Tiger I
Taigen KV-1

Wish List:
Torro KingTiger
Panther F or G
Taigen T34-85
Super Pershing

Last edited by Peregrine on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:28 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI Guys can you all please watch what you are saying here

"I am having a problem setting up my Asp2."

No - your problem is not with Asp2 at all. Any one reading this will think "Oh another problem with the unit". IF you have been following the forum and have downloaded any of the Asp model files and installed them onto your radio. You will have found that the complex mixing involved for what you want to do has already been done. No one else anywhere has done this for you.

The Asp model files all contain a mix for CH8 such that you can control an elevation servo on Ch8 by simply plugging the servo into ch8 which is then controlled by the stick on CH3. The background and how to do this yourself is also here on the forum in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=971

Which is cryptically labelled "standard servos for elevation and rotation"

Sirvoe WAS orginally designed for exactly this purpose and in fact if anyone does order a Sirvoe without any additional notes - it comes setup to work as an elevation servo control.

However with this mix for er9x then you don't need a sirvoe board to do elevation and hence many now use sirvoe for non-elevation roles. This mix is fantastic as it allows you to have far greater control over your elevation servo. Far far greater than ANY onboard solution could possibly offer.

Ok so onto the problem at hand. You have a few options but all will involve you getting the elevation servo mix onto your 9x.

Easy Option 1.
Download and put onto your 9X the Asp model file for 6 channel control. In 6 ch mode there are the special servo mixes on BOTH CH7 and CH8. They are setup for controlling a elevation servo and turret servo direct from ch7 & ch8 using the sticks for control. Keep the elevation channel and clear the turret mix and set up to control your hatch on that channel. The DOWNSIDE for this is that your guns are now back on CH3 so you will lose all the extra gun functions and only have 1 main cannon and 1 machine gun.

Option 2 (requires smarts).
Get the Asp2 model mix (standard 7 channel operation) and move your elevation servo control onto CH8 as it should be. Since you are not using the elevation motor and I suspect not using the airsoft motor either - put Asp into Advanced mode which frees up the ele and air switches. These are ground return switches which can be used to trigger stuff. Tell me this is what you want to do and I can program a custom sirvoe board for you such that when you trigger the ele or air switch the hatch opens and closes.
The DOWNSIDE - you have to know what is going on and I have to custom program the sirvoe board guessing how much movement is required for the open/close action.

Option 3 (everything is solved by $$$)
I don't know what radio module you are using but I can only recommend using the FrSky XJT module which will allow you up to 16 channels for operation. Again get regular ASp2 model file for 7 channel operation and move elevation servo to ch8. Get either a second X series receiver or a s-bus converter. Plug your hatch servo into CH9.

Finally...
"I have tried plugging the servo directly into channel 3 ( elevation) but this stops the tank from starting up via 100% on channel 5. Not sure why ? :?: "

This is because Asp needs to see valid channel info on CH2, CH3 and CH4. Otherwise it assumes you have a receiver problem and waits for you to fix it. When you unplug CH3 -no signal - no workies.

Cheers
KG

PS. I've just thought of a 4th solution. You could TRY using a "Y" cable on CH3 and sending one signal to ASp and then the other to a standard sirvoe unit for your elevation. I do not generally suggest "y" cables but this might also work and becomes the Easiest solution should it work.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:54 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

For the record, I never said there's anything wrong with asp. Quite the contrary.

Welcome back from the vacation Kevin :)

HL M41 Bulldog
Torro Late Tiger I
Taigen KV-1

Wish List:
Torro KingTiger
Panther F or G
Taigen T34-85
Super Pershing

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:43 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

No one really is saying anything is wrong - just phrasing things bad.

Anyhow on the downhill run here with the kids - just dealing at present with "what are we doing for lunch, can we go to Burger King". Ahhhh NO.

You will have to re-point me to what you wanted me to look at re: your posts.

Also I am on the final stages with the firmware update

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:37 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

Hi Kevin,
i did not say there was a problem with the ASP2, just that " I " was having problem with MY setup.
Also, i have followed the ASP forum from the beginning. I was one of the first to buy Asp1.

However, as for the Asp model files, i have tried downloading some but as i only have a mac, the downloaded .esc file is unreadable. This is also the case for most 9x upgrades- firmware.

Alas, all my programming / set ups/ mixes for ASP have been manually contrived through trial and error with some help from reading.

So to my original point, i will see what i can do as a work around for running 3 servos. Perhaps i my situation a motored elevation modification may be easier.
Cheers
Steve

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:59 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

The downloads are there just for convenience. It is still possible to manually enter in the parameters - after all that is exactly what I had to do in the first place.

The background and how to do this yourself is also here on the forum in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=971

Because you have a mac only means that you have to take the long way round. You don't have any less functionality.

The mix for ch8 is

CH8 +100% CH8
+2% CH16 Switch (L1)
R +100% FULL Switch (L2)
R -100% FULL Switch (L2)

for CH16

CH16 +60% ELE

Finally the 3 logical switches

L1 |V|>val, Ele, 1
L2 v>val, CH8, 100
L3 v<val, CH8, -100

Manually enter these values and Mac or no mac you have the CH8 servo mix