[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Jussek's Sd Kfz 161/4 Wirbelwind Projekt
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer IV and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Jussek's Sd Kfz 161/4 Wirbelwind Projekt
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hello all,

as stated in my presentation post, my next project will be a Wilbelwind. A difficult one for me at least, because of the electronic internals involved to make the flakvierling functional.

I started to work on the hull. I've purchased a second hand old Pz IV tank to start with. Low profile gearboxes and asiatam track tensioner system are already on the way.

this is the 'donor':

I had other projects in mind to do before this one, but... somehow it caught my attention and I couldn't resist to start the hull modifications, stripping the tank from the turret, and all external bits:

Also, i emptied completely the hull, discarded the old Rx14, speaker, plastic gearboxes, etc...

Then, started to hack the hull :mrgreen:

first, the back rear cover plate of the engine deck:

after this, the rear end return roller lowered 4mm:

the gearboxes shaft location raised 4mm:

from the external chassis of two old and unserviceable videorecorders, i made the internal perimetral reinforcements of the lower hull and the new 4mm gerabox support plate:

all these reinforcements are not glued yet. I will wait the arrival of the new gearboxes in order to align them precisely and rectify the the shafts 'hole' in the hull, if necessary.

Also, i have removed the plastic 'tensioners' waiting for the new ones to be installed, with the thread method (my first time with it)

right now i'm working on the two spare barrel boxes and aerial's base, and their mounting frames...

best regards

Post subject: Re: Jussek's Sd Kfz 161/4 Wirbelwind Projekt
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:52 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I'll be watching this post for sure. You should start saving up Jussek as you will really need that 2.4 gHz radio so that you will be able to control the servos needed.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:07 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hi Kevin... or i have to wait for the Taipan! :mrgreen:

here you are some advances:

track tensioners installed, support gearbox installed, metal hull reinforcements installed, low profile gears installed, liquid resin 'installed' on the bottom, now you cannot flex the hull anymore! :mrgreen:

now the side view looks like a PzIV with the complete road train on the correct position, a lot of work still to do...

best regards

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:14 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI Jussek

Keep it coming. Nice to see someone else filling the hull with resin. May look like a pool but a darn sensible thing to do.

Stay tuned as I may have some video of the new sound card very soon. The whole idea it to make all the sounds user changeable so a Wirbelwind board should be easy.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

thanks Kevin!

regarding the resin tip, i saw it on several German forums, so i took the decision to try it. The resin, added to the perimetral metal reinforcement of the lower hull, they do that the lower hull couldn't be flexed any more. It has his downside too, the weight. I've to think in how to reinforce the road wheels insertions on the hull from the downside... :roll:

when you say 'sound card', are you talking of a new, separated product? or is the sound card build in the Taipan board?

best regards

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:59 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

I've a question for you Kevin,

as I'm a sort of "electronically handicapped" guy, and need to know ow many wires are needed between the hull and the turret for the complete operation of the flak, including gun elevation, flash and recoil. I want to do the turret free 360º rotational, so i have to buy a slip ring for this. I own a pair of 4 wires, but i think it will be not enough...

if you could put a bit of light here i will appreciate it a lot!

best regards

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:10 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Jussek

Well Andrew showed us his new sound card today. It is a standalone sound card , like a Benedini or Beier. The intial Taipan boards will connect up to an external sound module. Sorry we did not get time to make a video. I am fairly confident that a Wirbelwind weapons sound set can be done for the sound card. Obviously this will be a different to the usual as the main gun sound will have to be looped.

So we have a system that could be used for the Wirbelwind once you go to 2.4 gHz.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:24 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Jussek

In answer to your question....

I would consider walking before you start to run. I think you have more than enough on your plate for now without having to worry about slip rings.

I would look at getting the system working first - once you know everything is working and working how you want - THEN I'd cut the wires and install a slip ring. If you try and do it all at once it will be very hard to pin point where any problems lie if something is not working.

Wire Numbers

LEDS - 3 - for 2 of the guns firing at the same time (5 for individually)
Elevation - 3 Signal and power wires for the elevation servo
Recoil - no idea - depends on how you do it. (or even if you can do it)

Cheers
Keivn G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:05 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hello Kevin,

thank you for your reply. Yep, i will wait to have the entire system connected out the tank over the table.

about the recoil, a forum member of the Spanish board lacadenaherrumbrosa is convinced that it could be done :D

he posted an early sketch:

obviously, this is wrong because the pair of canons to fire like this do not match with the actual thing, but he said that he had thought a way to do it... i'm quite sure he is able to, I've seen his work (he likes to motorize and made RC different static vehicles)

the main problem will be know if the different components will fit in the flak body...

regarding the new soundcard, i thought that the taipan will have the sound integrated in some sort like i read on the fisrt post:

Two sound generating systems – one system specifically for the motor the other for the weapons – all sounds user changeable and available sound sets on micro SD cards – unlimited sound choice

or maybe i had misunderstand something :oops:

best regards!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:45 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI Jussek

First up - eventually the sound will go onto the Taipan but for now the boards are separate. Why? It costs money to make prototypes - If there is a mistake piling everything onto one board at the start could cost hundreds.

As to the rotation & diagram of the elevation & recoil is a good example of why the sticking with the Heng Long electrics is both restrictive and difficult. There is a much much greater R/C community using proper R/C systems with servos and the like The result is a huge variety of products that are already made which can solve problems like this.

The recoil method employed could much more easily acheived with a single servo. BUT as you point out the action is still not correct.

I still think the use of biowire would be the most realistic way of getting a recoil action for such small barrels. Although if you can live with the barrels not being in the correct postion when not firing a servo sytem would be easy and look quite good.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer IV and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds