[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Jussek's Sd Kfz 161/4 Wirbelwind Projekt
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer IV and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jussek's Sd Kfz 161/4 Wirbelwind Projekt
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:06 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Eeeek - well I'd be putting it in the too hard basket myself. You will have to tell us the make of the kit. It is not a Juckenburg kit is it? A while back (when I actually built models :( ) I think I remember seeing a 1/16 flak cannon. It was expensive and you would need 4.

The firewall looks great - We have found that with the stock Heng Long motors at least they can generate a lot of EMI (interference) I suspect that the Asiatam motors will produce some as well. This EMI can and will affect some of the sensitive components on our boards and other boards. Since you have such a great firewall I would use it as an EMI barrier rather than a firewall since there hopefully will be no risk of fire in your model. All you would need to do is line the inside or outside of the compartment with EMI barrier tape. Do a search on eBay for 'emi shielding tape'. Just a thought....

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:35 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hello Kevin,

it's not a Junkenburg, I bought it from a seller on ebay Germany (an-bri-rc-modellbau)

I think the main problem was lack of good communication with the seller. I wrote to him several emails, in English, and he always replied in German. As I do not speak German, I translated the emails with an on-line translator, so, it is possible that essential info had not reached me... :evil:

anyway, it would be time consuming for me, and difficult in some areas, but I will try to do my best...

regarding the 'firewall'... I call it firewall because it's the piece that segregates the gearboxes -and his oil and grease- from the electronics, not for the fire itself (I think that if a fire starts in any of our models, they will be completely 'kaput'). It seems a very good advice from you to look for this type of tape, I will see what I can find.

best regards

EDIT: I just saw these tapes on ebay, they are made from copper and also from aluminium. I already own the Al type, so I will use this to do a sort of 'Faraday cage'

Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Jussek, We all call it a firewall :) and we all hope it is not needed as such. :D . Yep got to love the Faraday Cage. If you are familiar with that term then you've got the concept and all will be good.

I don't particularly like saying too much about other products but some guys do resin really well, Profiline, Juckenburg, Modellino,... and then there are some that do not do it as well.

I really wish Profiline went ahead with their Wirbelwind but I think that they abandoned their project once the Juckenburg kit was out.

RE: The motors, I have had a few guys have issues with the turret motor in particular. This is not surprising as it is the closest to the electronics and not well filtered. If you have the tape already then it won't be a big deal for you to use some to deal with the turret motor.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:43 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hi Kevin,

in this vehicle, I will move the turret rotation engine to the front, it will be located under the driver hatch over the left engine, so it will be easier to "shield the area" :mrgreen:

in fact, I've done this in the Tiger and KöTi, but in these tanks was due the installation of the bigger speaker/bass reflex case possible (this, coupled with a Beier or a Benedini is a BIG jump in sound quality)

I too, do not like publishing bad things about anyone (vendors or not), but it was a sort of a bad feeling to me when I opened the box and saw the pieces... :angry: specially the gun blocks, because they need to be emptied in order to fit the recoil mechanisms and the optic fibre cable...

ah! I haven't told this yet... my friend on the Spanish forum has in his hands a flak38 from another forum member and is working on it. The last news is: he is almost sure the recoil could be done, and very easily... I haven't his last 'version' of the system yet... it would need 3 servos (or 2 and 1 HL turret traverse system) and would be proportional:

- 1 servo for elevation
- 1 servo for firing with a micro switch
- 1 servo / hl engine for turret rotation + polarity inversion

I've no reply from him yet, about the question of rate of fire <--> recoiling...

best regards

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:14 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hi all
some weekend progress, not to much, i had to work on the yard, Spring is here on this part of the globe so there is a explosion of life and is time to prepare the garden before you are over helmed :mrgreen:

i added the non existent back plate on the lower hull for the tow hook insert, and also made the hook and chain:

also added the chains and the rivets on the frontal hooks:

added simulated springs on the rear mudguard covers:

finished the magnet system to close the hull, here you are the back portion of the hulls:

that's all!

bests regards

Post Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:40 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hi again,

some little progress, the main works on the hull are almost done, i will start with the turret next...it will be no easy to adapt the turret i bought to the hull... :angry:

the supports for the replacement barrels boxes

the boxes themselves

the frontal hooks and his chains

i'm finishing the frontal bar for holding the reserve track links, no pics yet.

and a weld line to fill the space between the back plate and the upper hull

that's all for now

best regards!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:18 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hello guys,

here you are the work of some days. It's difficult and I've to work carefully on the flak and tower, bit a bit and thinking every step beforehand...

first, the commander/gunner's seat. His arm was the ONLY connection between turret and gun, and the turret was rotated when the gunner rotated the flak wheel. In this kit the arm is flat, in one resin piece, so i cut it and recreated the elevation supports for the seat:

here, the elevation arm syncro, when the guns are raised, this arm raised the sights too. I made it moveable:

on the other piece, i also cut a part, it's from where the empty shells are expulsed, and they where thrown on a box located there. But in the Wirbelwind there was not enough space for this box, so it was not mounted. In substitution a bag was located inside the hull.

this is the linealvisier 21, and the ground fire scope on his side

and finally, the turret. A lot of work, a lot of calculation to be done (i can't have a miss!)

next step would be make the supports to screw the turret support to the turret ring, and fill all holes with putty...

best regards

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:06 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hi all!

here you are the weekend work :mrgreen:

Step by step, this project is advancing slowly…

do you remember the empty shells container I cut off? So I used this resin piece, cut in half, to build the two supports to screw together the turret and the black toothed ring. I sanded them to make them fit the inner curve of the turret ring, and used araldite to glue them to this ring. After this was rock solid I did drilled the holes for the screws to get into.

Next step was to use milliput to fill all the recesses, craves, holes, etc. After cured, I sanded and sanded until the turret base was smooth enough.

I also started to build the interior H support for the flak, and the flak base. This is v1.0, the v2.0 is already on the works (no pics yet)
These pics would show how the parts will be interconnected when done

Now, the bad news. The metal guns are like sh@#t... I used a column support for the drill, in order to hold firm the piece in vertical position, and slowly drill out the centre, but to no avail, the material is so soft that it broke

So, I have already ordered from Knupfler 3 tubes that will fit one inside other, in Ø3mm, Ø4mm and Ø5mm. I plan to cut away the entire gun tube, then drill the gun body. In this way it will be only 10mm needed. Then i will put the new gun tubes…

I've already started to build the flak central body with 1mm plastic card, so it will be empty and then i could put the guts inside... no pics yet.

best regards

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

Hello Jussek,
how is your build going ?
The metal for the gun mechanism is very soft and will be difficult to drill. :?:
If you replace the model barrels with alloy or brass tubing, will you make your own muzzle flash cones ?
I look forward to seeing more of your wirbelwind build.

Cheers
Afrikakorps

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:31 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Afrika

Please note that the last post from Jussek was about 2 years ago. I could be wrong but I doubt that you will get a reply in the near future.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer IV and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds