[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - 1/72 Waltersons & Torro RC Tanks
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion

Post subject: 1/72 Waltersons & Torro RC Tanks
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:11 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Chaps,

And a happy new year to one and all.

I just thought I would share some pics of the new range of 1/72 RC tanks from Torro. I bought these from RCTank.de

http://www.rctank.de/1/72-TANK-MODELS

There are currently the 3 models which you see here, Challenger 1, M1A1 Abrams, and T72. The basic detailing on these looks good to my eye, and I am sure that much of the 1/72 accessories that are available will fit these well. The running gear is all plastic, and the tracks are the continuous rubber type. On mine some of the road wheels are a bit sticky but I will be sorting this out. The turrets have approx 180* rotation. The main guns are not RC but can have the elevation adjusted by hand. The RC system is an IR based system with a range of about 6m which is ideal for table top driving. The tanks do all the usual movements, forward and back, steering left and right and neutral turning. The IR receiver for the control and battle system is under one of the hatches in the turret, this has to be removed when the tank is in use in order for the IR to be received. I have left the cover off of the Abrams in the pics so that you can see what this looks like.
The tanks also have an IR battle system too, and there are also 4 selectable channels which allows 4 tanks to battle with each other at one time. There is also the ability to pick sides so that your tank does not take hits from friendlies. The tanks have track recoil when the main gun is fired, and they do a little shimmy when they have been hit. There is a hit LED on the turret which also changes colour and flashes to indicate the number of hits left.
The tanks also have tank specific sounds, which are played through a speaker in the controller. These are individual to the tank, so yes you get the gas turbine whine on the Abrams. The accompanying blurb says that the sounds have been recorded from real vehicles from museums across Europe. The sounds are pretty good for the size of the handset and at this price point.
The manual indicates that further tank types are going to be produced in the future. These are great fun, and for the price really nice little models, I shall be on the lookout for more of these as they come out. In the meantime I am off to the model railway club I belong to to cause havoc on the 00 gauge layouts :O :haha: :haha: :haha:

Heres some pics, these are straight from the box, and each comes with its own display base.

The remotes are good solid bits of kit. steering controls and throttle are on the left, the right stick only has horizontal movement for the turret rotation. The 2 little buttons above the sticks are trim controls for the steering, with 2 further buttons on the top of the controllers for the main gun firing, and MG sounds. The small rotary knob below the right stick is the volume control. The Controllers take 4 AA batteries and do function with rechargeables. The tanks have a small 1s LiPo which is charged from the controller via a cable and plug which is pulled out from the right side of the controller.

These really are great fun, I love em.

Paul

Last edited by scalawag on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1/72 Torro RC Tanks
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:49 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Yes I have seen these all stacked up ready to go at IMEX warehouse here in Florida. There are actually 4 types with a Japanese Type 10 also included. $60 USD plus S&H. It looks like these all come from a factory in China and Imex, Waltersons and Torro then put their name on the packaging.

Did not give any a test run as all the other upcoming 1/16th stuff took precedence.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Although mine were packaged as Torro, the remotes are clearly marked waltersons on the front. I guess that it is Waltersons who are making these, and the other companies are just allowed to use there own packaging. The Type 10 does not seem to be available in Europe yet so I may go to Imex for one.

These are tremendous fun. :D

Post Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:13 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Yesterday I received a Waltersons bantam weight tank from Access Models.

http://www.accessmodels.co.uk/shop/radio-control/tanks/

They are also available from SMC where I get my JP Power motors from.

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/sh ... p?id=54020

This one is a JGSDF type 10.

I got this as I wanted the type 10 to add to my collection, and also because I wanted to see if the waltersons versions of the IR battle system etc... would work with the Torro bantam weights tanks which I already had.

I can confirm that these are 100% compatible with the Torro versions. They are identical except that the names imprinted on these is Waltersons rather than Torro. The controller is Identical but in a green plastic instead of tan. It looks therefore as though the Waltersons, Torro and Imex versions of these tanks will all happily play together.

This one has had a filter of Mig tan for 3 colour camo, and then some weathering using Tamiya weather master products. I did do a little detail painting too.

Here it is with the Torro versions.

The Type ten is from a set of tanks called the National Defence Series. Other tanks scheduled for release are a Leopard 2A6, T 90, and another type 10 presumably in a different came pattern. There is also an as yet unidentified tank which will possibly also be in this series.

I have also done some detail painting and weathering on the 3 Torro tanks too, just to take the straight from the box look away a bit.

Here is the M1A1 Abrams.

Challenger 1

am T72M

These 3 are from a set called the Desert Storm Series. Tanks still to be released in this series are an AMX-30 and a British Centurian AFV.

A further series is also mentioned in the manuals which is a Bonia Conflict series. this has a Challenger 1 and M1A1 Abrams in NATO camo, and a serbian m-84. A number of other series are also mentioned in the manual, WWII, Iraqi Freedom, and six days war to name a few. I hope they do come to fruition as these little chaps are really great fun to work on and to play with. Lots of scope too for building battlefields, as not only is there a wealth of 1/72 buildings etc available, 00 gauge model railway items will also be usable. I might make a battle table for these (in-between all the other bits I have on the go).

Paul

Post subject: Re: 1/72 Waltersons & Torro RC Tanks
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:32 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I have now done some weathering, and added some stowage, and I think they are about finished so I thought a thread here was in order. These are great fun, and I have found them a very useful distraction from the 1/16 builds I have been doing too.

From left to right, Iraqi T72m, Challenger 1, M1A1 Abrams, and JGSDF Type 10.

The JGSDF Type 10.

Iraqi T72m.

Challenger 1.

M1A1 Abrams.

Paul

Last edited by scalawag on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:36 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Nice looking tanks scalawag you will certainly need a bigger house now mate. :D

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:52 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Its moving that way Mate, But these are tiny so I am sure I can fit them in somewhere :lol: :lol:

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion