Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion

Post subject: Air soft rc tanks allowed in Australia ? (Sydney)
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:50 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hi guys,new to rc tanks.
I tried to search but came up with nothing.
My question is are airsoft tanks allowed to be sent from other countries cause I know the fact we are not allowed to have airsoft guns here but are the rc tanks a exception ? Would there be any problems getting thru the customs ?

As I'm looking at getting into this,please if anyone has got one from overseas and posted thru the customs let me know what was your experience.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Air soft rc tanks allowed in Australia ? (Sydney)
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:39 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

G'day being new to this rc arena I had a similar question. From what I gather from my research IR battle tank are ok. BB shooting tanks are a different matter. You need to Google your states firearm
act (which is relatively easy as I have seen act, nsw and qld acts listed when looking for SA's act.

There are pently of comments listed in various forum about advice from this and that firearm officer's 'advising' various enquiriees that in SA we are only state that allows them based on a limited muzzle velocity for 'airsoft' equipment. Iam yet to see the actual sub Clause in our act supporting this 'advice' ( Iam still looking incase I missed it).

My personal belief is they are allowed here in SA under the two clauses 1./ toy gun definition and 2./ exemption as a firearm for certain types of air rifles with barrel length under 25 cm in length ( the last one is a bit rubbery in it reference).

Look for a section or clause under the title 'toy gun' in your state's firearms act / regulation ,without it rc battle tanks get mired in the imitation firearm quagmire surrounding airsoft weapons that look exactly like the real thing and the police HAVE A REAL HISSY FIT over this type of weapon.( rightly so seen they have to deal with any public miss use of these weapons).

And there is the rub for the likes of us, separating our hobby from the immitation fraternity.

When the new gun laws came in after port Arthur, reports came in from the historical military vehicle operators that if it looked like a REAL weapon then it was not allowed even if it was just a metal pipe. At one stage you could not even own a miniature rifle that was to the level of scale detail to the point of everything working because if a cartridge was made to fit, then it could fire it.

All sorts of 'stories' like the two circulated back then and we are still dealing with the aftermath of this collective over reaction. You live in Sydney I presume, you tell me if gun crime has reduced by restricting law abiding citizens from pursuing activities that are cause no direct harm if correctly pursued and opetated?

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion