Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion

Post subject: bb legal issues
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:53 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

In recent posts I have touch on some legal reasearch into bb cannons on rc tanks. So far I have concentrated on SA. As to the Internet references indicating a muzzle velocity gate on theses cannons, I can not find any public regulation or clauses under the act in SA that supports this finding.

Therefore the assumption is they come under the toy gun definition as they "are not designed to shoot METAL projectiles" & further refences from minutes of the firearms committee " Designed as a children's toy" firmly places them , indirectly, under this clause/regulation.

This is the only way they are legal, otherwise they come under the definition of" imitation firearm" and if they have barrel lengths UNDER 250mm they then fall under proscribed firearms clause making them BANNED. ( And yes I initially interupted that the other way around).

So from what I can gather here in SA as long as you do not fire metal bb ,in public or other, you are seemly OK. Mind you if a police officer forms a opinion that it not, then you may be in trouble.

Post subject: Re: bb legal issues
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:49 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

I decided in a pedantic moment to check out the other states.

Tassy no mention in regulations of toy guns, air gun, etc. Does not directlly deal with issue.
Nsw & Act, no toy gun class, classified as firearm? Below minimum barrel length?

Qld quite extensive regulations, covers multiple weapons types. Reference to toy guns under Cat M weapons ie " not a toy gun" very ambitgous. Definition of ammo as " anything capable of being of being aimed at a target & capable of causing death or injure by been discharged" may be refered to the Plastic BB Clear mention of miniature scale artillery or naval cannon is not allowed.

No mention in any of above of 'air gun' category.
Imitation firearms probably equates to if it looks like one it is one.

Vic only different in that specific mention of naval reenactment cannons is exempted from prescribed classes of weapons.

Wa similar to rest no specfic mention to toyguns and has a velocity gate on paint ball activities.

Imitation weapons, and minimum barrel lengths almost universally dealt with simular regulations and prohibitions by all states so unless actually referred under a toy gun clause or specfic activity it is probably, as already stated, an illegal activity , just not for the specific reasons giving.

It maybe possible in Qld as some mention of toy gun is infered, but considering the cannons are simulating a real military canon, it is in all likely hood banned under miniature weapons clause.
First mention of muzzle velocity gates in reference to this activity.

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion