[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - So I'm just about to buy a Heng Long 1/16 tiger I!
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion

Post subject: So I'm just about to buy a Heng Long 1/16 tiger I!
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:41 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Gidday there guys! So yeah, I'm shortly gunna spend 194 bucks on the 3818 tank. I was contemplating the $72 metal tracks & $12 metal suspension arms for it at the same time. Anything else I should grab early in the piece?

Anyone got any mods for live ammo? (lol!) - The dag gone possum out the back keeps stealing my pussy cat's food, & it pees all over my laundry floor as well. Oh, & My mate is gettn a 3818 as well. Not sure - maybe I should get the Sherman to be a more appropriate opponent for my mate? Is the sherman good too? I see it comes with metal tracks as standard which is a good thing.

I'm an electronics tech so I may be able to help in this area, if anyone needs advice.

Post subject: Re: So I'm just about to buy a Heng Long 1/16 tiger I!
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:31 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

I was also wondering what the supplied battery charger for the 7.2V nicad pack is like. Usually there is no monitoring of the state of charge of the battery, & there is a distinct possibility of overcharging, & in fact destruction of the battery if overcharged for too long. I may build up either the "fast nicad charger", or the "burp charger for nicad/NimH cells", as described in the aussie "silicon chip" magazine. Both these chargers feature microprocessor controlled charging, as well as temperature monitoring of the cell pack being charged. Close temp monitoring of Nicads/NimH's is the ONLY way to accurately detect when the battery is fully charged.

Another thought I had was to possibly fit a (say, 2.4 GHz) IR camera to the tank, to be able to "seek out & destroy" those dang blasted possums in the dark, which is when they do their pillaging of my cat's food. There may not be room inside the tank with all the other 'gubbins' in there perhaps. If not oh well.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:39 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

yes first thing I recommend with any factory Heng Long tank batttery is to take it out and put is in that big green container outside your house that the nice men in trucks come and get each week.

Those batteries are dangerous along with the chargers for expressly the reasons you have identified.

I'd suggest getting a decent hobby battery charger which can do NICad, NiMH, LiPo, LiFe,....... I'm sure that it will be cheaper than a single DIY. I'd also look at changing over to LiPo in general.

You seem to be almost on the right track - I always suggest upgrading your electrics FIRST before the unnecessary extra metal stuff as without the right electrics the tank ain't going anywhere

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:11 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Tanks for the advice Phyrephish! I get what you mean re the charger, but the battery as well? Do they lack capacity or do you literally mean they are prone to overheating, or have I missed the point?

With the electrics, I see there are a number of different add on/replacement/upgrades available. I guess I need to do more reading of the forum. Trouble is I don't get much time. That may be a good thing as I may spend waaaay too much time here otherwise!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:44 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

You were correct in saying that they are prone to over charging. Few people realise that you should really do some maths to calculate the amount of time spent on a charger. Often they are left charging overnight for example and then cause problems when placed into a tank. Not only that but we have found the mAh to be often over stated and the 2200s are more like 1800s- so even if you do the calculations the batteries are still overcharging because the stated mAhs is wrong.

Although they may of fixed this the wall charger packs were also badly made and would crack open at the slightest drop leave 240V wire exposed.

Get a good battery and charger to start with - I know is is not very exciting compared metal track or titanium re enforced super high torque purple gearboxes. But it will give your tank a stable power platform on which to build.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:25 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Thanx for the guidance so far phyrephish!

OK then, I'm just about to get my wallet out for a turnigy radio & a hl2rc (probly?) upgrade.

wheredoigettemat?

Also, any info on decent batt packs & chargers? - preferably NimH but lipol too I guess if PROPER chargers (with balancing if req'd) are available.

p.s. there's a black bloody cat moochin on my little girl's food too now as well!

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion