[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Bergertiger 1/16
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Tiger, Sturmtiger, Elefant and Ferdinand » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Bergertiger 1/16
 Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:19 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Now, there is a big question regarding this variant of Tiger, since there is a few photos of this beast and no documentation from Wermacht about it. Also it was found destroyed by germans since it had some engine troubles (as all Tigers did---probablly fuel lines) that where beyound repair. So as it was politics of war time to destroy/sabotage all military equipment so that opponents can´t use it against you, Bergertiger was partly destroyed too.
This was the main reason why we don´t know how did it really look like, and more importantly, why it was used for.
There are some speculations that it was used as bunker buster (http://fingolfen.tripod.com/tiger/zimmberge.html) and this was also adopted by Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergetiger). But this does not seem to be right, since Tigar had around 55-60 tonns and large silhouette, so I don´t see it sneaking up on a bunker and leaving large crate in front of it. Also it was found in Italy, and if I´m not mistaking, there was no Allied bunkers around...

But since there is Bergerpanther and Bergerpanzer (on chassis of Panzer 4) it seems to me as only logical thing that Tiger had also had its variant. Now there is also speculation about numbers produced, and since there is only eight photos (that I know about) of the same tank it is mine conclusion that it was the only one.

Post subject: Re: Bergertiger 1/16
 Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:32 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Here are some pictuers of real thing...
As you can all see there is not much showing on them.
I mean, there are some details, but it is all busted and there are some thins missing...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:46 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

But there is u bunch of questions poping up all the time I think about this beast, so I made a few sketches of how it could look like, so I combined halftrack crane system with it.
SdKfz9I1-2.jpg

And got this:
bergetigeropt.JPG
That third version is what I came up with. (First is what was left of it, second is that bunker buster version)
A simple in field repair tank.
Why this?
Because if you look modern german Bergerpanzer (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bergepanzer_B%C3%BCffel) it is used like that, and chassis used is of Leopard 2.
Also, Tigers (as all modern german tanks) has in field replacment engine modules, where you could extract whole engine out and replace it with new one while old one is going in service.
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-024-3536-28_Kreta_Panzer_VI_Tiger_I_Reparatur.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:06 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

But enough with theory, let´s build stuff!

So for donor I´m using BB Heng Long Tiger but with TK-01 mother board. It has pritty basic eletronics, so it won´t be that hard to build if one of you wants to do so.
P3280277.JPG
So, that is our victim... :D

First thing to do is to disassemble it.
Now, there are 7 screws, but four of them are behind tracks, so you don´t have to pull any track pins out, just pop up that small cap on sprocket wheel, unscrew it and slowly pull outwards until it gets loos from axle. After that remove track in one piece. But remember to mark them L/R.

First thing to go is gun barrel :shock: . Just use saw and cut it off in the root (see pic bellow) but be carefull about those bolts.
P3290287.JPG
Remove airsoft gun unit, and its barrel. After this, use gun unit as template (just put front plate on it) to hot glue frontplate to turret. It should be in vertical line from upper hull (as if gun barrel is in horisontal line).
After glue has cooled out, use pliers to break those two holders for gun unit to release it so that is can be removed.
P3290292.JPG

After that you have to remove tool bin on back of turret, use saw or rotary tool (Dremel) to do so, but don˝t damage that rear plate, since you´ll have to use it for turret. I used hot glue to glue this panel in place since so far it seems the best way to do so (other glues just fall off since HL plastic is not pure PS-polystyrene like on model kits).
That pistol hole is going off too (seems that on the real Berge they removed it and put cement in hole on turret).
P3290289.JPG
It´s not important that seams are done perfect, since zimmerit is going over it all.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:41 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

It seems also that they used a body (hull) of Tiger from first, and turret from middle production.
Bare that in mind, because there are some thing that have to be changed.
But for now, lets do some electronics! :mrgreen:

First thing you need to do is to hotglue two winches in turret. One for crane boom erection, and second for crane hook to go up and down.
I had two winches from some crane toys I had, but if you have some servos laying around, use them...
P4180402.JPG

Since HL turret electronics are devided in two segments (gun motor and gun elevation motor) wich both run in one direction (you can´t change motor polarities), you need to make it work both ways (wince both winches need to go up and down 8-) ).
To do so you´ll need two relays, one running on 3V and other running 5V.
So, you need to locate cables for gun elevation motor, gun motor and turret rotation motor.
untitled.JPG
That is schematics of what you need to do.
How does it work?
When you press your left joystick l/r, turret moves l/r (as it has moved before). If you pull your stick down, you activate one of two relays and cut off TRU (turret rotation unit), thus enabeling your winch to go up/down when you pull stick l/r in down position. Same thing is when you pull your stick up, and hold it up while moving it l/r.
Now, what winch is going where, and what is up or down (let say; up=crane erecting winch/down=main crane winch/left=hoist up/right=hoist down) is up to you, I´ll put this scheme for example, but you can do your own winch choice going from 56, 10 and 11 in relation to input 1,2 and 7.

1. positive pole from turret (it is red wire that goes for airsoft gun and gun elevation unit)
2. negative pole from turret (it was used for airsoft gun)
3. positive pole from mother board (TK01, RX-13/14/18) to turret rotation unit
4. negative pole from mother board (TK01, RX-13/14/18) to turret rotation unit
5. negative pole for crane erecting winch
6. positive pole for crane erecting winch
7. negative pole from turret (it was used for gun elevation unit)
8. negative pole for turret rotation unit
9. positive pole for turret rotation unit
10. negative pole for main crane winch
11. positive pole for main crane winch

Take in considiration that 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10 and 11 switch their poles since 3 and 4 are variable from l/r turret movment.
First relay is 3V since gun elevation unit uses that voltage, and gun motor takes about 5V so thats why second relay is 3V. Now it is no mistake to use two 5V relays but this firs one will make rattling noise when it is on.

When you solder all wires do that in this order:
1. solder relays with 1,2,3,4 and 7.
2. connect them with those wires to make serial connection
3. connect turret rotation unit with 8 and 9 but first test on what side does turret goes (after that, solder all up)
4. after this just solder all other connections (5,6, 10 and 11) testing all motor rotations before soldering...
This is how this looks in mine Berge:
P4200411.JPG

You could also do some changet to tansmitter;
P4100357.JPG
Transmitter is modified for left handed (since I´m one) so left joystick is for tank movment, right joystic is for turret rotation (l/r) and two winches (up=crane erecting w./down=main winch for hook).
I didn´t want to cut off all the wire and then solder them all back, so I just flipped circuit board from transmitter for 180° and resoldered those three key switches from other side (only downfall is that channel switch is now on the back left side where you can´t reach it---so Berge is on permanent ˝b˝ frequency). Also those three keys have oposite order-from left to right it is; 1,2,3,4,5 & 6 program/program mode switch/ execute program.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 1:48 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Upper hull has to be rigid, since HL made it a bit thin, so it bends when crane is moving from side to side.
I´ve done this by two aluminium square bars.
P4200414.JPG
They are put this way since back part of upper hul is a bit more rigid then front, and also because I didn´t make it 360° totating turret.
Notice that back engine grill has been removed. I´ve done this to house all switches that I need as well as battery plug for permanent battery assembly.

Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:13 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Awesome Kamaz

I think a great build post makes you want to build one just like it and I want start building a Bergertiger TODAY!!!!

:o :o :o

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:12 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Tnx! ;)
Will add some new photos today, but it is raining so I´m a bit worried about backlight.

Just wanted to add that those gearbox covers are made from aluminium tube (from mayonnaise) and they serve three purposes;
-to reduce lubricant spraying all over interior (most of that ends up on mother board)
-to minimise gear lubricant contamination from dust or other particles
-to reduce noise.
And that ˝spring˝ is inner antenna. :roll:

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:02 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

As promised:
P5160415.JPG
P5160434.JPG
Hook is there just to test concept, not to stay (have to scratchbuild one)...
P5160436.JPG
P5160417.JPG
This hair is there for those who like to split hairs over details...
P5160419.JPG
P5160422.JPG
P5160430.JPG
Compare this one with that original from above---do they look alike?
P5160427.JPG
P5160423.JPG
Air filters were removed, since body was from early production body, but air intake was changed a bit, and those two plates are air filter hose holders...
P5160426.JPG
No back toolbox, instead, there is jerrycan rack.

I also used soldering iron to do zimmerit on hull, while turret zimm is yet to be done. Mine zimm tool for this second type (on turret) is a bit narrower than that from hull, so this way I´ll get one more distinction between hull and turret.
Also, I have to do that mid production commanters cupola too, but not for now.

Post Posted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:23 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

You simply must make a video of this thing in action. I was sceptical at first that making a functioning crane would be worth it but it looks like you have succeded. Good thing the Bergepanzer III I'm working on has a manual crane. Hopefully some pics of my latest work by the end of the weekend.

Cheers

rctanksaustralia.com

Board index » German Panzers » Tiger, Sturmtiger, Elefant and Ferdinand » 1/16 Scale Builds