[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Tiger 1 - Probably early, mid and late production
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Tiger, Sturmtiger, Elefant and Ferdinand » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Tiger 1 - Probably early, mid and late production
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hi, I have been a member of this site for over two years now and just been hovering around in the shadows looking at some impressive tanks and their mods and thought I would do a post myself now that I have finally got somewhere near completed on my own very long (as it turned out) term project.

Anyone on here will see it is not based on any particular production, area or tank but a mixture of anything I liked at the time :D

Started out with Taigen chassis, Heng Long BB top deck and turret which were modified and converted to IR / 360 degree and then added metal tracks, wheels etc from various shops and ebay sellers over some time all of which have been extremely helpful when my lack of "wisdom" got in the way ......

Transmitter is 9XR with ASP2 controller which is superb and although very good at the time I managed to take out the RC5HL and the many relays I had managed to add for various things which I will be putting in my sons King Tiger at some point. Also has a burn effect smoke generator to complete along with a few other never ending bits.

I have just ordered a metal Panzer IV chassis for tank no:2 so will be trawling the sites for new options when it arrives 8-)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Tiger 1 - Probably early, mid and late production
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

I'm impressed
And I'm in much the same situation ( just about finished my tiger 1 and panzer lV) both with ASP's with IR battle

So now I'm considering for my birthday 19 January

Getting the wife to buy me :D
A/ Russian t 90
B/ Abrams
C/ Challanger 2
D/ leopard

I would really like to have a fully concealed FPV setup as I have that in my Tamyia truck trailer combo

So I want a big tank to fit all electronics big speaker etc but a good viewing opening that I can conceal the camera so it looks original on the outside just like my tamyia truck

So I'm looking for suggestion from anyone and everyone because it's hard to tell from the internet pictures what tank would be best for my needs
Has anyone fully concealed a FPV camera in any of the above tanks yet

Thanks

Vince

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:40 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hi Vince, thanks, I'm quite jealous of your truck setup, looked long and hard at doing a working tank transporter but lack of German options and possible costs I have opted out for now until I have a better idea of things.

Would love a WWII British tank but not so much the Challenger at the moment. Fancied the T-90 myself but have to consider future options or will get jumped on by the Mrs lol hence the Panzer IV chassis which was used as a base for many tanks which are available as kits in 1/16. Will spend a bit more on a high spec chassis then the various top hulls I can manage between Christmas' and birthdays all been well :D

I have quadcopters and the Dromida Ominus FPV camera is quite compact so would think something along those lines may suit a tank of most sizes? 720p and 2.4ghz but at tank speed shouldn't be an issue. Probably cheaper to buy a whole quad than just the camera in some cases.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:50 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Hi, A very impressive Tiger 1,
I caught your remark about getting a PZ4 Metal Hull, Whose were you thinking of ?
Please don't say "ASIATAM" I am not the only person who thinks they are the nastiest piece of second rate c*** you can buy.
The amount of work needed to make the thing usable could be better spent painting the Sistine chapel!
Oh, and Happy New Year.
Shaun.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:28 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Well I did it
Well the wife did it.
it wasn't easy she was complaining all the way up to push this button to confirm payment on her PayPal account
She even said but it's not even a whole tank where's the other bits
So I went with the Challenger 2
It was $ 950 with postage from Hongkong
Postage was $147
I have ordered a base model henglong challenger 2 that was only $230 total with delivery
So I guess I'll have to start saving for the ASP 2
Kevin this will be my 4 th ASP when do I qualify for hi volume discount
To be fair I think Kevin is running at a loss with all the time he takes answering all my questions
How is the challenger 2 sound set coming along :D
Vince

Last edited by Vince_b on Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:49 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hi Shaun

Yes it is an Asiatam chassis I believe, ordered it before Christmas but hasn't arrived yet and an email hasn't been answered to confirm either so will have to see. Don't mind a bit of sorting out but will be disappointed if it is really bad and needs a lot of sorting for the money. Was hoping to be the first step to a sorted chassis. Ordered up a couple of top hulls from Germany ready to start the Stug and Panzer IV and on the look out for a Dickers Max conversion kit as well now. Too many tanks not enough time :lol:

Vince, thought you had been bought the DKLM chassis for your birthday at first and was going to show the Mrs in readiness for my birthday :D Been on their site and short listed their gear boxes for the Panzer. They seem to have some really nice kit especially for the Challenger 2. If anyone has used them I would be grateful for an opinion on their gearboxes or other options for a Panzer same as with the tracks. I have got "Impact" track and gearboxes on the short list as well but struggling for reviews on things.

I was hoping Kevin would be busy doing a Panzer IV sound set for the Asp 2 but on last tanks time scale there's plenty of time yet and Asp 4 may well be out by then :shock:

Steve

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:54 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Hi Steve

Not sure
If I'm misunderstanding your post. But let me be very precise about this

The wife brought the challenger 2 hull for my birthday

Let's say I may of finally got her trained

She wasn't happy and still thinks tanks are stupid but she went and brought it for me anyway

As I pointed out to her I paid a stupid amount of money for a useless diamond on her finger

So I think she had to give in

Vince

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:18 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Steve Hi, I had to drill out every hole and if you are fitting Gearbox output shaft bearings,
You will find that "ASIATAM" have kindly predrilled the holes in the side of the Hull to mount the bearings and they also provided the Gearbox output shaft covers EXCEPT they have not left any space for the bearings to fit within the covers, !!
So I had the opportunity of wearing out 3 or 4 "Dremmel" Stones or buying a 25.5mm Router to cut the excess away from the inside of the cover,
I found the Router on "AMAZON,"
The Panzer 4 Suspension has always been a pain and ASIATAMS is no better than anyone else's nor is it easy to get a good fit,
The quality of the provided nuts, bolts and screws are very poor.
I really was a most disappointed builder especially as a PZ4 Metal Hull is not easy to find.
I hope yours turns up soon and shows me up to be a liar but do be prepared to put in more work than you might have expected.
The instructions come on a cd, and it is worse than useless,
I suggest you download TAMIYAS PZ4 Manual and use that, most of it is very similar.
Shaun.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:54 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Thanks for the heads up, Sean. Sounds like you got an early edition metal hull. Sometimes things get fixed and other times not so. It would be nice to hear from anyone who may have got one of these hulls recently and if anything has been fixed.

Problem with metal is that it has to be correct from the start as it is a bugger to fix otherwise (or to mod). Why the fad for all metal tanks I'll never understand.

Since the PzIV doesn't use torsion bar suspension the HL hull may take just as much effort to get right as the Asiatam hull.

FOr all the new players see these posts for fixing the HL hull ....

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:20 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

I took on board your comments on the ASIATAM PZ4 Metal Hull,
Some years ago Steve at Welsh Dragon Models began Advertising the ASIATAM PZ4 Metal Hulls, But not long after the complaints began and Steve ceased stocking them and lost a packet reimbursing customers,
I forgot about the product until at the beginning of 2016 I saw ASIATAM were advertising the Metal Hull again,
I figured that the original problems had been fixed and I took delivery of mine on the 1st July 2016,
You already know my experience,
In October last year a friend of mine bought an ASIATAM PZ4 Metal Hull and lo and behold his problems were pretty much a mirror image of mine and that is why I wrote my warning,
Once could have been bad luck but twice in four months is pushing coincidence too far.
Shaun.

Board index » German Panzers » Tiger, Sturmtiger, Elefant and Ferdinand » 1/16 Scale Builds