[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - HL Tiger build
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Tiger, Sturmtiger, Elefant and Ferdinand » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: HL Tiger build
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:41 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I started out with a faulty HL Tiger Pro Verson.

So far I have fitted.

Mato 4:1 brass gearbox
Asiatam metal hull (I managed to break this and recently fitted Taigen metal hull)
Had Graupner 400 speed 6v motors in for a bit but recently change to Jamara LiPo 480 motors for more torque.
Twin RX18 to eliminate the track twich.
Metal opening hatches, mud guards, exhaust, tools
Metal LED machine gun in mantlet
Metal mantlet, barrel, muzzle break
Asiatam recoil unit & flash unit
LiPo 5000mAh 7.4v battery
Upgraded the smoke unit but currenlty not in the tank

Today I fitted metal roadwheels.

Re: Tankbear, Tiger Build

Postby Tankbear » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:55 pm
Right decided to install the new metal roadwheels.

The old plastic HL wheels.

The new metal ones. These have removable rubber tyres (great for painting time) and have 4mm axle holes, but comes with axles bolts for the HL hull and the smaller Asiatam/Taigen hull.

The bolts didn't have a flat section for the grub screw so I filed a flat on all of them.

One side installed.

Rear shot

Both sides installed.

Tracks back on.

Quick test run and all seems ok, still have one track slightly coming off the idle wheel but suspect that is down to slackness of the track.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post subject: Re: HL Tiger build
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:16 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Tonight I did some more work on the turret, asiatam recoil unit and IR bits.

First off I removed the firing microswitch in favour of the diode mod. This will give muzzle flash and sound and barrel recoil at same time.

Heres the asiatam recoil minus the microswitch.

Next up is the heng long IR kit.

All the wiring installed.

IR LED installed in the mantlet.

IR reciever installed.

Turret installed back on the hull deck and wiring resoldered on.
Picture of all the connectors, from left
smoker switch, flash unit, red wire is battery negaitive for recoil unit, black wire aeriel, IR plug

Also did a video so will upload that soon.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:21 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

video

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:17 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Looks good Tankbear 8-) 8-)
Do the axel bolts have a hex head on them? (for a hex screwdriver)
Recoil works well in the video

Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:09 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Gra,

Yes both sets of axles bolts come with the hex head, although only use it on the HL suspension.

Thanks for the comment on the recoil. I'm thinking of putting a better spring in for quicker shoot back and a resistor for slower return.

Also need to play with the IR battle system as I'm using twin RX18 to get rid of the track recoil so suspect it will also elminate the little hit shake. Will keep you posted on how that goes.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:56 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI Ian

You may not realise this but the next generation of MAKO units will allow you to interface with RCTA most popular product the ATRC. The ATRC stands for Anti-Track Recoil Circuit.

In a nutshell you buy both a MAKO (generation 2) and either an ATRC MKI or ATRC MKII. You connect a single signal wire from the MAKO to the input on the ATRC. When ever the MAKO sends out a signal power to the motors is cut by the ATRC.

The MAKO is programmed to cut power to the motors at these times:

1. A couple of milliseconds after the gun is fired - stopping the violent back & forth motion when the gun is fired.

2. After the tank receives an IR hit - stopping that stupid shuddering of the tank when hit.

and

3. At death after 5 hits. No more out of control tank going off wildly crashing into walls, trees buildings...

The ATRC MKII also has servo control for a modified HL recoil unit.

Just an option you may wish to consider.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:32 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Kevin,

I was aware of the ATRC product, but as my soldering skills are ok, but not brilliant I don’t want to start soldering onto a tiny electronics board. Plus the RX18 relatively cheap so that was the obvious option for me at the time.

But as you say if it is one cable from the Mako unit to the ATRC then that eliminates the fiddly soldering, then this seems a great option.

Might be me new to IR battle but if you eliminate the hit tank shake how to you know you’ve been hit?

Cheers.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:23 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Ian

That is the feedback I do get re: the ATRC that people don't like to solder. I hate soldering myself and if I can get away without doing it I'll go that way too. Connecting the MAKO & ATRC was an afterthought in the design but a very fortunate one. Especially as it mean no soldering.

As for indication of an IR hit the RX18 plays an explosion noise when you are hit and if you are moving along at the time the tank comes to a stop. This is enough for most people. However, the the beauty of the MAKO is the flexibility. If you only want only recoil of the tanks stopped when the main gun is fired you can make a note of that on your MAKO order. It would then be programmed to stop only what you want to stop. Unfortunately, programming of the firmware can only be done here at the moment.

The upcoming Chimaera will feature 4 LEDS that flash when you get an IR hit. Having a single LED flash when you are hit using a MAKO/ATRC is a possibility for a future update of the MAKO.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:10 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Kevin,

Does the Mako or Chimaera have tank weighting so heavy tanks take more hits etc or is it restricted to the HL 5 hits.

Thanks

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:45 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Ian.

It is best to think of the MAKO & Chimaera as IR translators. They do not (at present) have any control over the other battle functions. So whatever you plug them into that unit controls the battle functions. So yes you are going to have the 5 hits for the RX18 (for now).

However, having said that the MAKO does offer a reload time. A standard RX18 permits almost continuous firing of the main gun. Not really fair against those Tamiya units that have a reload time. Hence, the MAKO features a 5 second reload period during which the cannon will still fire but no IR will be sent (you will be shooting blanks so to speak).

Like the workaround solution for 'Reload Time' it would be possible to have weight classes but it would not be elegant to implement. For example it would be simple to tell the MAKO to ignore every second hit and in that way you could acheive a 10 hit kill for heavy tanks. This would need to be a custom program. So if you wanted a 10 hit heavy tank I would have to custom program a MAKO for you. But it would be possible. If enough people ask for a Heavy Tank option then I would start offering them as a standard option.

To make the units with the user being able to select tank classes would significantly increase the cost.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Board index » German Panzers » Tiger, Sturmtiger, Elefant and Ferdinand » 1/16 Scale Builds