[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Gra's Matorro Jagdtiger mod
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » King Tiger and Jagdtiger » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Gra's Matorro Jagdtiger mod
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:53 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi all
Have started my Jagdtiger mod
the hull needs a few mods to get it close to looking right, I'm going to extend the chassis and also the rear engine deck, the deck is about 7.5mm shorter than my Matorro KT (using it as my measuring guide), so Matorro could fit the barrel elevation gear in. The sides of the fighting compartment are bent in as they should be straight, but i'm going to leave this as is, otherwise i would have to remake the top (and i'm not to keen on that idea LOL) also leaving the front deck as is (should be a few m lower but didn't find out till after i stared the mod)
I'm going to use the new HL KT lower hull instead of the Matorro hull as its a better hull including the suspension

some pics of the Matorro new

ok on to the build
First have opened the hatches

made metal grab handles and a new engine hatch

opened the back access door and added the inside locking system

next i extended the engine deck 7.5mm, its both side of the round grills that the extra length is required (I'm using my Matorro King Tiger as a measuring guide)

the extension strip

added some styrene to reinforce the hull

then cut the part of the fighting compartment of to move up 7.5mm

dremelled the grills in the air vents as the gaps are very thin

more to come :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post subject: Re: Gra's Matorro Jagdtiger mod
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:04 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

some more mods while waiting for the lower hull to turn up

made the light cables go straight back into the hull

modded the movable periscope and it even swivels now

modded the barrel lock as well and it even works :o

more soon

gra :)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:14 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

the hull mg hole is to big so added some styrene and made it more like it should be (i hope)
also turned the mg around so it moves sideways not up/down

cut of front fenders and made one to work (other missing from battle damage) made the hinge from styrene

next added some styrene to the front and rear plates to give some beef and also to hold the top hull in place

i used the Matorro exhaust and shields, look better than the HL ones

comments welcome
more soon

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:09 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

thanks Ken
i can't wait to finish it as well LOL
but electrics and recoil will slow me down for a while :roll:
the mod certainly makes a difference, the JT looks so big even next to my King Tiger :D

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:20 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Ok next update

i was going to use metal axels but they are about 4mm longer than the plastic ones and the front road wheel closet to the drive cog would jam with the cog when raised up, I think they asiatam arm (so be careful if u order these axels).
Newsflash :o :o
i have been re thinking about these arms as i have heard others have filed down the cog to make them work, so I will take another look at this (hopefully today )

more pics on the axels later

:)

Last edited by Gra on Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:32 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

the Heng Long KT hull and back plate turned up so on to cutting up and lengthening the chassis
i ordered the hull without wheels, springs and screws etc... as I was going to reuse the Matorro stuff from its hull, but no nothing would fit even with modding the pieces, so have ordered all the extra gear (one never learns LOL)
also got metal 3/1 gearboxes and HL metal tracks

i have cut the hull and extended it 21mm, I'm not sure the actual length to extend as measurements suggested range from 20 to 30+ mm, i was following an other build and comparing with picture blue prints of the JT so it hopefully looks right

ok cutting the hull (very scary at first) :o

extended chassis

the top hull cut (remember i had already pre cut the top to extend the engine deck, hence the 2 different widths)

reinforcing the lower hull

all glued up

and test fit of the metal tracks, need an extra 2 (double) links for ea side

next will install electrics, bearings in the idler wheels, relook the axel arms and recoil mod then the finer detail, tools, ropes clamps etc...

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi All
a quick update, managed to get the idler wheel bearing mod done and has worked out well, no play or slop,
I drilled out the shaft and added 2 bearings and used a brass brace from a HL gearbox as the new main shaft. The bearings i used are 2 x 10mm and 1 x 11mm with 5mm centres. check the brace size as they are different depending on the age of the g/box, 3 sizes i have found, the newer ones fit the bearings perfect

first i tapped a 2.5mm thread to hold the idler together as kit doesn't come with any screws

drilled the hub

no drilling required on this piece bearing fits straight in

for the second bearing inserted in styrene and goes into the main part of wheel

all the parts and completed idler

the outside bearing here is really only used as a spacer between the idler and hull

drilled 5mm hole in the hull and using a screw to hold in place (a bolt would be better but this is all i had)

finished product

still have to test when tracks are on but will do the job :D

cheers

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:17 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

very nice build gra, realy good convertion

By at 2012-02-07

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:55 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

next problem :roll: :roll:
back to the metal axel arms and new metal drive cog, as I said before the new metal arms about 3mm longer than the HL plastic ones and so puts the front left hand road wheel closer to the drive cog and when the arm raises it catches on the lugs inside the metal drive cog (it even catches slightly with the plastic arms)

metal cog

plastic arm, road wheel and cog in normal position

metal arm

comparison to plastic arm

no gap when road wheel raised up and gets jammed

solution next (I hope) :? :?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:03 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Solution (I hope) :| :|
I didn't want to grind too much of the lugs in the cog so I raised the gear boxes, changed the template to 3mm (old plate 1mm) alu plate and will also move G/boxes forward

original axel height

new axel height (i have also moved g/box forward a few mm but not shown in this pic)

showing new position being moved up 2mm and forward 1-2 mm (still testing )

still rubs slightly but now i can grind down the parts with out taking too much off

Next problem...I have since test fitted the tracks all seems ok, except now I have to move the idler forward a bit as tracks will be a bit tight (no track adjuster) still working on this :roll: :roll:

cheers
Gra :)

Board index » German Panzers » King Tiger and Jagdtiger » 1/16 Scale Builds