[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Leopard 1A5
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » 2A6 MBT Leopard » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Leopard 1A5
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:39 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi all,

This is not a Leopard 2 build but it is a Leopard so I hope it is ok to post this here ;)

I recently had the opportunity to purchase this Tamiya Leopard 1A5 from a chap on another forum. So glad I was able to buy this, it is a great looking tank, and a perfect addition to my growing MBT fleet :D

This is a Tamiya Leopard 1A4 kit with a Perfect Scale Modellbau Leopard 1 A1A1/A5 resin Turret kit added.

The previous owner had done a great job on the build, running gear and the cosmetic look of the tank, So I have had to do little there so far just a bit of detail painting and touch ups really in that department.

Internally is where I have done most of the work on this so far.

The tank came with a BARC4 and benedini sound card, but I opted to stick with what I know and what I think gives me the best control options, so I fitted an IBU2 Pro board. I may try hooking up the bendini to the IBU2 at some point in the future, but to be honest I am pretty happy with it the way it is at the moment. It has a custom Leopard 1 sound set which includes the L7A3 105mm rifled main gun.
I have added my usual audio amp and viper remote volume control, and the speaker came with the tank. I have also added servo turret rotation and gun elevation which seem to be working well, and I have the rear lights now working. There is now an LED gun flash too.

Things to still do, get the front lights working, and I may swap out the motors for my usual favourites JP power 400 or 480 motors as she is a bit sedate for a leopard 1 really. I have not addressed recoil at the moment so I may add this later on too, and also a coax Mg LED. I may also see if I can squeeze a smoke unit in there too somewhere.
I have a slipring on order to give full 360* continuous Turret rotation so will be fitting that when it arrives.

On to pics of how she stands at the moment.

and a short video of how the tank operates.

Comments very welcome as ever 8-) and a big thank you to seller for giving me the opportunity to own this one :D :D :D

Post subject: Re: Leopard 1A5
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:16 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Now has working headlights.

The rear lights also work and act as break lights when momentum is engaged.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:13 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

There were lots of extras with the tank when I bought it, amongst which was a nice set of rubber front fenders from AFV, and a set of side skirts. Looking at pics of Leopard 1s and particularly A5s I decided that to my eye the tank looks better with the side skirts and front fenders, so this is what I have gone for.

To me the tank seems to sit better with the side skirts. Looks better balanced :D :D :D

Comments and ideas as always welcome.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:18 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Nice looking Leo Scalawag, and I agree looks better with the skirts and the rubber fronts cool, also save some damage when you run into things.(probably should say when things run into you LOL)
One day I would like to get a Leo 1 and of course it would be the Aussie version :D :D

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:24 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:57 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

The Leopard one has now been fitted with a 3s LiPo as I am swapping all of my modern armour over to this. I recommend this upgrade for any modern armour as it gives the best performance gain all round that I have seen. Much better scale speed on this tank now. Just make sure that your control system is up to the job

Post Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:30 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I have just finished fitting a slip ring in the turret of this tank, so it now has not only 360* rotation, but is also capable of continuous rotation too.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:18 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I also found time to have a go at fitting a smoke system in this tank.

so first job is to grind out the back of the exhaust grills to open up the slots in the grills.

Did this with a dremel and grinding wheel, just have to be careful not to go too far. I ground until little holes began to appear, and then used a scalpel to open up the thinned plastic.

Next I made up too plasticard plates to go over the back of the grills. I glued a piece of tube in the centre of each plate.

The two added pieces at the ends don't serve any purpose I just cut the plates to short!!!

The inside face of the plates was painted matt black and the plates glued over the back of the exhaust grills making sure there was a good seal. The pipes in the centre of each plate were them plumbed back to the Tarr 1 smoke unit which was fixed in the lower hull.

I used a straightened paper clip pushed inside of the pipe which connects to the Tarr 1, this stops the pipe from creasing when the top hull is put on. And that was pretty much it. A little bit of fiddling about to get it how I wanted it. A video showing the result. the smoker takes a while to warm up.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:31 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Scalawag,
Like the mods, is that Tankbears smoker, does a good job and is that the HL type slip ring?
I notice you seem to add the amp to the IBU's is that because not loud enough or just need some real extra grunt?

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Last edited by Gra on Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spelling

Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:09 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Mate,

Glad you like the work I have been doing.

Yes the Tarr 1 smoker in this tank is the one Tankbear sells. Great smokers, most reliable I have found. I fit them in all my tanks.

It is also an H/L slip ring. I will have to find some with more connections if I go to IR on these tanks though.

I just like em loud my friend. Really it is so that I can hear them above all the other tanks when I am outdoors battling.

Board index » German Panzers » 2A6 MBT Leopard » 1/16 Scale Builds