[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - M4A3 Sherman 105mm Howitzer
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » US Tanks » M4 Sherman and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Re: M4A3 Sherman 105mm Howitzer
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:08 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Very nice Diverfrost
Great painting technique 8-) 8-)

But where's the styrene :o :D

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:45 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Greg

Sorry this forum lacks people who have an overwhelming desire post a one word reply to every single post, in order to acheive some ridiculous post count. All about quality not quantity over here.

I'd prefer to coment in person but for the record.....

Weathering and rust look really good. I particulary like the Machine gun. I 'm MR Controversy as you know and I still think that actual WWII tanks didn't last that long for build ups of rust. I think you are at the maxium anount. A real pain I know becuase it looks so good.

Three things I'd look at:

1. The handle for the MG - I'd make the wood stand out more from the gun metal.

2. The cupola periscopes - I'd do the Chris 'Tankboy' mode of painting them. Silver background then blue/green clear over the top.

and

3. You have weathered everything except the rope. If you can get the rope off just whip it through a black/burnt umber wash

Finally,another MR Controversy comment. One of my usual rants is that people are hesitant to take risks when building Tamiya Tanks. Resulting in builds that are as per instructions. Now we have all seen your work - you have the skill to have done something a bit different other than glue part A to Part B. As Gra said 'Where's the styrene???'

Regardless of my opinion on these matters it is still a nice looking model and thank you for taking the effort to post the pics here. I've made up a ton of resin stowage items over the past week I'll bring some along to the meeting (if I can make it) or if not I'll post to you as a Thank You for your post.

Cheers
Kevin G

Ps You have a chance to get back at me very soon as my next build will be this exact same model. I am building this M4 for Graham H and I'll be kicking off this week.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:03 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

two line replies

are nice and easy

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:09 pm 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Great job Greg.

As for the 50cal the Americans used bakerlite not wood on the 50cal handles in WW2.

It is in a book I have, that you are welcome to see for yourself.

At the end of the day YOU are the DRIVER of the SHERMAN, and as long as you are happy with it thats all that MATTERS.

I don't often come on this site as there isn't enough hours in a day.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

If one pulls up Bakelite in Wiki you will find good examples of Bakelite from the 20s - 30s. All of which appear in that fake red wood appearance.

Even the Tamiya painting guide says to use XF-64 which is Red Brown. Typically I use Shadows Flesh by Vallejo Panzer Aces as it gives the colour I'm after. XF-64 is too brown for my liking.

So I shall rephrase for correctness...

. The handle for the MG - I'd paint the bakelite a red wood colour to make it stand out more from the gun metal.

Cheers

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:12 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

The real M4 Sherman tank was the primary tank used by the United States during World War II and was also distributed to the Allies. In the United Kingdom the M4 was given the name Sherman after General William Tecumseh Sherman. The British, when they receive their first copies continuing its tradition of naming tanks of American origin from the name of a famous general in this country. Many nations continued to use the tank in training and fighting in various roles until the end of the 20th. The Sherman tank was comparatively fast and maneuverable, mechanically reliable, easy to manufacture and maintain. Produced in many special-purpose variants, whose capabilities differed greatly. It was effective in the infantry support role.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:00 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Ok, I'll jump into the 'moding Tamiya Sherman' debate. The most obvious thing is the gun. What idiot decided that the Tamiya should be a 105mm howitzer for goodness sake!!!!!!! Are there no conversions or ideas out there for changing this to a 75 or 76mm gun, or the 17pdr? I have seen a 1/16 17pdr but it does not look to have a recoil. Any ideas anybody?

adam

Board index » US Tanks » M4 Sherman and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds