[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - HL KV-1 build
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Soviet Tanks » KV-1 and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: HL KV-1 build
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:24 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I'm mid build in this KV so I'll start with adding Asiatam metal hull which I did last week.

Assembly time :D

Track return wheels fitted.

Road wheels fitted.

Idle and drive wheels.

Idle wheels fitted, showing the working tensioner.

Plastic mounting tray added. For those paying attention you notice I've changed the battery strap to a velcro one from a Taigen hull.

Next job is strip parts from the HL.

Now the hull has the switch located at the rear.

Wiring to switch

Now your supplied with a bag of screws of various sizes. So best figure out which goes where.

And now parts fitted minus smoke unit and switch (that's a job for another day)

Now I had already Asiatam 3:1 gearboxes previously fitted so I thought this would be straight forward.

Wrong, turns out that even though I had metal drive wheels before the new supplied ones require a short shaft where as the HL ones needed long shaft.

HL sprocket on left, long shaft on both gearbox and in middle new drive wheel with short shaft.

On the plus side the mounting holes on the plate in the hull actually match the gearboxes (I found on the Tiger they didn't all align up)

Fitted the shorter drive shafts to the gearboxes

The mounting plate.

Decided to add some sound proof foam between the gearbox and mounting plate.

Sounded like a good idea but took ages to fix gearboxes in as couldn't find the holes plus had to squash it down for the screws to bite. Was it worth 30-40 minutes to fit them ???

Drive sprockets fitted.

Tracks fitted. That was fun, not.

Now to say using all Asiatam parts, not certain about track placement.
At front the tracks flare out.

At back nanometers away from hull.

Well that is the transmission fitted, time for a quick spin on garage floor.

Short test drive appears fine drives in a good straight line '8

So back on with transfering bits over to the new hull. Electronics in wiring routed down the sides leaving a clear space for the quick release bracket.

LED tail light added. I kept the one I already had as was wired in with the correct resistance. The Asiatam doesn't come with any resistor or tell you what type or how to wire it up which I think could be addressed a bit better.

Quick release bracket fitted to upper hull.

Add underneath two hex bolts to hold down the hull top. So the lid is actually bolted down unlike the spring catch of the tiger hull.

Next remove the towing eyes

Wow that's a small nut and bolt, not best thing to handle with numb freezing cold hands.

Towing eyes back on with towing rope attached.

Well that's the Asiatam hull fitted. I've still a few other bits to do and today managed to take it for a test drive and not happy the motors appear under powered might be because I'm running powerful 480 in my other build so something else to look at.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post subject: Re: HL KV-1 build
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:47 am 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Hi Tankbear, I really like your build. Could you tell me where you got the sound proof foam from? Does the foam really help? Would like to try it on my tanks.

Thanks,
Duane

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:13 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Duane

Welcome to the forum. I have used similar foam in my tanks. I'm not sure what Tankbear has used but if you live in Australia you can get such foam from Jaycar.

Costs $15 for a roll and that should do half a dozen tanks and speaker boxes.

Cheers
Kevin

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:54 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Duane

The sound proof foam I bought from Maplins (electronics store) and is meant for lining inside PC towers. To be honest it hasn’t made much difference. Before I had the gearboxes in the plastic HL hull with HL metal sprockets and tracks and it all made a right noise so I was convinced it was the steel gears in the gearbox.

Before I put in the metal hull I ran the gearboxes with some cutting compound and both sounded reasonably quiet apart form vibrations into the work bench so put them on some foam and that stopped the transfer to the workbench so thought I try again it in the tank.

Suppose I could remove the tracks and run the gearboxes with sprockets on and see how noisy that is, that way confirm if it’s the tracks or gearboxes.

Got to admit the stuff Kevin has suggested could be a lot better than the foam I tried as the car stuff is generally a lot better and isolating vibrations where as the stuff I used is more air borne sound than vibration absorbing.

I note regarding the supplied LED for the tail light in the Asiatam kit, it’s white and not red so unless you have a red filter to put over it is no good as a tail light. I found though it fits in the HL plastic barrel and when connected with a 100 ohm resistor and connected to the airsoft/recoil supply gives off a super bright white light. So going to use it as a cheap muzzle flash, so will be posting some pictures of that when I get round to doing it.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:36 pm 
Kettenrad Driver
Kettenrad Driver

Thanks Phyrephish and Tankbear, I appreciate both your advices. I live in the US so the shipping would be pretty high. Going to see if there is anything like you suggest Phyrephish here in the US. :)

Regards,
Duane

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:03 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Duane,

You should find it car accessory shops which sell upgrade car stereos, amps, speakers etc.

Just don't go for anything to thick as it will raise the height of the gearboxes a few mm and on a 1/16 model makes a lot of difference.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:34 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi guys, plan was buy a HL IR kit and recoil unit ready for the Hyde meet. Then I was lucky enough to have these given to me from Blimp. Thanks mate. :D

So here is what I got.

Needed to use a few bits from current hull top to complete the transfer.

Completed turret.

As what I got was most of the motors and wiring complete I decided to install whole lot rather than messing around resoldering it all together.

Put back together I took a quick video but for some reason came out really grainy image.

So will post soon.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:36 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Video, sorry about quality.

Ian.