[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - KV-1 1941 model
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Soviet Tanks » KV-1 and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: KV-1 1941 model
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:12 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

So after my last KV-1 build I was left with a load of spare parts, so decided to put them all back together to give me this.

Which basically has metal tracks, Asiatam 3:1 gearboxes, internal ariel, modified HL recoil with LED flash.

I did plan to convert to a KV-2 but seen a lot of them recently so after some reading I've decided to go for 1941 model with simplified reinforced welded turret and late production ZIS-5 (longer 76.2mm main gun).

So today I started. Couple of illustrations so I know what work needs to be done. One on left target version and right is the ekranami version which i'm starting with.

Spare turret to start work on.

Side armour removed

Rear periscopes removed and turret top detail removed.

Weld lines added, rear periscopes relocated nearer the back to avoid blind spots, perscope details and holes smoothed out.

Next up is research the mantlet and rear panel of the turret.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post subject: Re: KV-1 1941 model
 Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:33 am 
Panther Commander
Panther Commander

;) Looking Good ;)

Taigen Tiger 1, Panzer III
Torro T35/85.* WSM T35/85
Hooban Elefant
Mattarro Jagdtiger
HL 1/30 M4 & M26
VS King Tiger, Leo

Post Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:33 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Another weekend so a bit more time to do some work. :D

Back of the turret. Basically removed the detail and added weld lines to the side.

To the front of the turret next.

Top is current HL mantlet, left picture is target mantlet and right picture is current version.

First you notice the target mantlet is off set. So bit of chopping and gluing to match that.

Rough and ready version shown, but now sanded down and smoothed out.

For the main gun bit I'm building up layers of modelling putty and going to sand/file to shape. No pictures for now, waiting for the stuff to dry.

So onto finishing the weld lines on the turret front.

Next onto the lower hull and side armour plates removed and holes filled up.

Upper hull and again armour plates removed.

More weld lines added and aeriel stub removed and filled.

That's as far as I got today, need to buy some plastic sheets to further the conversion. Plus also waiting on a few bits like the ZIS-5 barrel to come back into stock.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:39 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Some more work last night.

Added the extra armour to the rurret ring.

Made from smoothed out side armour previously removed.

Plasticard for the back bit.

Started filling holes left in the side of the hull.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Right guys spent most of last week working on the mantlet, mainly applying putty, let dry, file then more putty, dry, file hence it took a week. :haha:

So here's my almost finished mantlet, just need to add IR tube and some rough texture to give tha cast apperence.

I also removed the frontal hull armour as the HL version finished too low.

That's all for now.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:42 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Few more shots of the progress

Side turret ring armour added

Tow rope bracket added back.

Added headlight and horn back to front armour plate. also added a conduit for the horn as I managed to break the original

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Little more work last night.

Made some cooling vents out of metal mesh. Going to leave loose until I've painted the tank first.

Also added an engine grill mesh.

And that's just about all the bits changed now. Still waiting for metal barrrel, exhaust etc to come into stock before can crack on further.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:45 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Well my parts arrived this weekend thanks to Steves @ WDM first class service again :D

First up fitting the turret hatch, slightly modified so can open it fully. But then found the detail inside the hatch foiled the IR socket which i superglued in, so had to sand it down a bit hence why it looks a bit messy

Time for the long waited for gun barrel. Glued together with a cut down telescopic aeriel. As you can see a lot longer than the standard HL one but hey that is too short anyway.

Installed. Might be a fraction too long, I need to check the books.

And a video with a amber LED flash.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Few more bits of detail

Home made engine hatch bar & hook.

Towrope ropes

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:53 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Lookin good Tankbear

Like the steel ropes, so that's the real length of the KV1 barrel compared to the HL version?

I will have to get one of these tanks now LOL

Cheers
Gra :D

Panzergruppe South Member

Board index » Soviet Tanks » KV-1 and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds