[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Profiline Sturminfanteriegeschütz 33 Kit Build and Review
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Profiline Sturminfanteriegeschütz 33 Kit Build and Review
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:41 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Profiline Sturminfanteriegeschütz 33 Kit Build and Review

As soon as Profiline announced the availability of their SiG 33 conversion kit it was instantly placed into my build schedule. The SiG isn't a particulary flash looking beast and truth be told looks like it is made of Lego. However, it is this boxy shape that makes it's outline so unique and to me a 'must have' for my collection.

Not a lot of SiGs were made and units were present at both Stalingrad and Kursk (making them even more desirable). Luckily, there is quite a bit of reference material for the SiG 33 and a lot of models represent units from the 201st Panzer Regiment, 23rd Panzer Division (the G-Units from Kursk). Such as those pictured below.

However, I like the challenge that the camouflage scheme below poses and have decided to model the unit below.

So here's the Profiline kit.

As usual I was more than happy with the detail and quality of the resin parts. Profiline kits seem to keep improving and the SiG kit comes with some photo-etched parts and a pivioting system for the main gun. More on thes later I'm sure.

Starting the Build:
OK, now I don't know if one was supposed to be there but the was no picture CD inside the box. The SiG is not a complex beast and there are ample construction photos on the Profiline website so the lack of a CD was not a concern. First step in construction was to use a dremel to remove the tools and support bars from a HL Tauchpanzer top deck. Next I removed the transmission deck but only transmission deck at this stage. I wanted to fit the replacement deck with as much support as possible so I left as much of the deck in place.

With the transmssion deck gone I used some scrap styrene to form a ledge on either side of the hull. This ledge allows the new deck to sit nice and square.

I added more scrap styrene as shims to the new deck so that a snug fit was acheived.

The citadel was then test fitted and the old hull cut away as necessary so that the correct fit was made.

rctanksaustralia.com

Post subject: Re: Profiline Sturminfanteriegeschütz 33 Kit Build and Revie
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:31 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Looking great.
Just one question: what do you use for glueing resin parts - epoxy resin or CA glue?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Kamaz,

I use both CA (Thin, Medium & Thick) as well as Epoxy (5 minute & 24 hr). For joints where there is high stress I'll typically use some CA to hold the joint in place then use a generous amount of 24hr Epoxy to reinforce the joint. What glue I use depends on the parts and how much stress they will be under.
Cheers

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:03 am 
Tiger Commander
Tiger Commander

Thanks for explanation.
Helps a lot.
I also reuse some plastic from HL tanks for a filler. Just chop a plastic part in pieces and put it in acetone until it softens in putty like mass. You apply some acetone on area you need to fill, and after that just apply it on. It´s not perfect filler but it serves it´s purpose.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:37 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Yes I've heard of the acetone/ABS putty glue mix before. To glue ABS plastic to ABS or to styrene I use a solvent that is marketed as 'Tetra' here by a company called EFD Simply Glues. See . Absolutely no idea what 'Tetra' actually is though.

Cheers

rctanksaustralia.com

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds