[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - My StuG Project
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: My StuG Project
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:55 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

If a job is worth doing, then its worth overdoing.....

Drill out the shock casing to 7mm to a depth of 15mm (done)

Using 7mm brass tube create a bush 10mm long (done)

Using 6mm brass tube create a plunger sleeve 17mm long (done)

Get a 5mm diameter x 17~20mm long spring (done)

Use 5mm aluminium rod to create a stopper/lower mount point (proof of concept piece made, but still need to source the final)

Photo's of fabrication to follow soon.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:05 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Please stop pi**ing me off with those 3d drawings. I spent a week trying to do a 3d drawing of one of the 9X self - centring levers - FAIL....

How about you knock one up? Should be a piece of cake given your suspension graphics.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:53 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Spud, You have the levers.... open up your 9X - you will have to do so to install the ISP header in any case. Have your wheels arrived yet btw???
Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I have trial fitted one of the modified suspension sets and was presently surprised to find that me measurements were all correct and that the installation works as advertised, not had a chance to take a picture of the actual installation yet, it has a temporary (proof of concept) plug/attachment point component, which is currently fabricated from plastic servo link and some aluminium tube. I hope to replace this component with a aluminium servo link.

However I produced a few more CAD generated images (sorry Kev') to help those who may wish to attempt the same mod'.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Actual prototype.....

Uncompressed:

Compressed:

A bit of both:

Gra

Well I managed to dislodge only one out of the six return roller mounts all the others a glued fast even dremeling away did not help, even the one I managed to get of had a fair amount of glue holding it in place, so at the moment any notion of staggering the return roller height is looking like a non goer.

Looks like it may take either drilling them out or using considerable more brute force to dislodge which will probably result in damage and then the need for replacing. As I have already spent far to much $$$ on this project I will need to take a step back and review things before making any further removal attempts :(

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:43 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Had to make some suspension tweaks.....

First up I found some small stainless steel turn buckles to use as the attachment points, and I have created a CAD model of the final shock design, however this has all required a radical alteration in regards to the attachment of the shock to the swing arm.

I will upload some pictures of CAD model and the new attachment arrangement this evening.

Also I have found that I needed to adjust the length of the shock plunger down 17mm to 16mm as the original tolerance was far to fine and I found that there was a possibility of the plunger being able to ride up high enough to jam inside the 7mm bush (and naturally I found this out the hard way), the stopper allowance of 5mm was also increased to 7mm in an effort to increase the spring tension which on initial trials appears to be a tad light.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:34 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Updated CAD.....

Shock construction:

Shock as attached to modified suspension swing-arm:

Photo's of actual build later.....

Post Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:00 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Here are some images of the actual install.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds