[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - My StuG Project
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: My StuG Project
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:23 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

OK shortened the chains and mounted the fixed end to somewhat close to where they are supposed to go (sorry for the crappy iPhone pics).....

Also added the shield/hatch lock (again sorry about the pic quality.....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:40 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

recoil unit design update:

Here are some images of Revisions 0 and 1 of the short recoil unit (stripped back to main components) and some basic (recoiled) dimensions:

Rev. 0

Rev. 1

Recoiled Dimensions

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:37 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

I do like nice surprises, last night when I got home I went to the letter box expecting only to find more bills, yet was happy to find among the assortment of the a for mentioned bills and numerous political propaganda (I do so much love elections) a rather semi-unexpected small padded parcel post from Qld.

Upon opening the package I was delighted to find a not so unexpected servo, along with some other goodies as well, so many, many thanks to KG for lifting my mood. Now I had planned to reciprocate the surprise by building a CAD model of the new servo this morning before work started, however upon arrival at work I discovered that for some brain fail based reason that I had failed to pack both my work and lunch (breakfast) bags into the car, but instead had only managed to pack my gym bag, so not am I only feeling quite hungry at the moment but also a tad miffed.

Last night I did however manage (with a little trepidation) to install the self centring mod into my Turnigy 9X, I had a bit of a win here as the HL controller I randomly chose to sacrifice to the cause just so happened to have a spare spring floating around inside its guts, although I must say that happy feeling of this win was somewhat short lived and almost fully offset by the fact the screws holding the Turnigy 9X together are far from the most robust of screws and I have come very close to stripping out the heads of about 50% of them.

The situation was not aided by the fact that after I had put the controller back together I received a switch error message, not knowing any better I pulled the unit apart again to make sure everything was as it should be, only to later realise that the error was actually being caused by a thrown switch, and thus I had to reassemble the unit with these now already rather dodgy screws for a second time.

Now all I have to do is get the damn thing programmed for tanks and I’ll be set to move on to the next level.

I will PM you (KG) later today about the third and forth items in the package :)

Now in regards to $tuG progress, this is slow as usual but at the moment I’m working on making a replacement of the missing inspection/access port located on the lower rear hull plate, it’s quite surprising and a great pity that there does not appear to be an after market replacement available for such a prominent detail, sadly it goes without saying that if I had 3D printer access, I could knock up a CAD model of this missing item in minutes.

Talking CAD, the modelling of the recoil unit goes on, I have spent much of the recent time deleting redundant geometry and generally refining component design overall, thus far this work has only been applied to both revisions of the short version of the recoil unit, but I will push the same refinements onto the original design as well soon.

I will try and post some progress images either today or tomorrow time permitting.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:53 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

.... CAD model of the pesky missing hull inspection plate

Post Posted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:22 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

After reviewing several different reference images of the hull plate, I decided that the plate model as currently modeled was a tad too small and that the overall shape and proportions also needed some tweaking so.....

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:31 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Not much progress on the physical StuG front as I been working on numerous other things, including a yet to be disclosed RC Tank CAD related project?!?

However I have also still been working on my recoil unit design and have been looking at ways to make it a more universal solution, among these is an idea to created an additional pivot cradle for the existing design, this is to allow the design to be used to replace not only HL StuG style units but also HL standard recoil and BB units as well.

With this I would then also be able to convert my Panther, Leopard, etc.......

Post Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:45 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Also KG sent me down a D65 HGB servo unit that included a mixture horns of various shapes and sizes, here is my initial configuration of the servo installed into the recoil unit model and using the supplied long servo horn.

At rest.....

.....and recoiled

Looking at the above it occurs to me that I may have to consider moving the servo mounts further back to make the entire movement sequence more centreline centric?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:01 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

OK as I suggested, I decided to move the servo mount further to the rear, so at the same time took the opportunity to redesign (partly due to necessity) and refine other related components as well.

At rest.....

.....and recoiled

Following are some exploded views of this current iteration of the components.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:44 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

now doesn't that longer arm give you more confidence??? I like it. I usually cut the other side of the arm off - but I'm sure that is in you plan too.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:03 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

"cut the other side of the arm off" - yep I'd already done that last week, along with some further design refinements.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds