[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - My StuG Project
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: My StuG Project
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:28 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:29 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

OK here is the slide block stop that I have modeled, I have had to add an additional guide/tube to the recoil slide to allow for the gun flash LED and it's wiring to pass through recoil unit freely.

At rest:

Recoiled:

When fully recoiled the length of the entire unit beyond the mounting (due to the addition of the gun flash LED tube) is now 71mm.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

.....correction, after a minor tweak to the gun flash LED tube, the fully recoiled length is now an additional 2.5mm longer than the above, so length of the entire unit beyond the mounting when fully recoiled is now 73.5mm.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:28 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

The revised extended gun flash LED tube in the at rest position:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:11 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Here are the three basic components of the recoil unit as they currently stand:

Main Body:

Main Body with Slide:

Stop Block:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:49 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

.....and a sectional view that I prepared earlier, but only just now was able to up-load.

At rest:

Recoiled:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:11 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

For the StuG I've been toying with the idea of adding a mock breech block (and maybe the recoil cage) to the recoil unit, note that there is nothing accurate here as this is just simple a POC model.....

The breech block is designed to fit into the end of the barrel slide and there is slot provided (underneath) to allow for the gun flash LED leads.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:30 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

..... a slightly more accurate attempt at the mock breech

Meanwhile down on the farm, I've been plodding along in the real world as well, in that I've been working on the hull. My current point of focus is the rear tow hitch points. First up I have decided to ditch the boat anchor sized retention chains that Taigen provided with the hitches, with some much finer chain that I have. I have been hunting high and low to find a decent reference image of how these chains attach, as the way they are supplied does not make any logical sense, as I'm sure the actual idea behind the chains is to have one end attached to the tank and the other attached to the pin, with the pin then held in place with a cotter pin (or such) like that below:

Post Posted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:03 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Well I asked myself if there was any way to make the recoil unit design more compact.....

and so as an alternative here is recoil unit Mk II (or short)

..... just giving myself options

Post Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:00 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

New chains attached, and some rudimentary cotter pins fashioned from some spring steel fishing tackle clips.

After scouring through all my references I've found an image of the StuG at Aberdeen Proving Ground that show remnants of the chains, that appear to be connected via a ring through a hole drilled into the top inside of the hitch horn castings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » German Panzers » Panzer III and Variants » 1/16 Scale Builds