Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS

Forum rules

This forum is primarily to advise new members on the registration procedure. It is also for newly registered members to ask questions about membership to the forum or where they can post their initial posts in order to gain full forum membership.

Post subject: Hello from far north NSW...
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:08 pm 
Pz IV Commander
Pz IV Commander

Hello again people.

Not really a newbie as such as I had a Heng Long Tiger 1 a couple of years ago, but I sold it during some life style changes. I didn't have it long, however I formed some opinions while I did have it. Now I'm considering getting into RC tanks again.

One of the things that I recall about my Tiger was the radio gear. If I go ahead with this, I'll be looking at going for the 2.4Ghz sets.

I am thinking of a metal tank this time...I didn't like the way my Tiger bounced about as it crawled over tufts of grass like a baby turtle on the beach. Clearly the metal version would be heavier, which then has me thinking about the robustness of the tracks. I had metal tracks and wasn't terribly confident with them after seeing how thin the track pins were. I thought they may break or the track itself break if subjected to pivot turns on uneven ground.

I see "Impact" make a nice looking set of metal tracks for the HL Tiger 1...has anyone had experience with these?

I live on 5 acres, on my own now and fancy trundling about outside with it. IR battling isn't on my agenda, I see myself tinkering with it and maybe chasing snakes.

I'd welcome any advice regarding going metal.

Cheers,

Michael

Post subject: Re: Hello from far north NSW...
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:58 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hello Michael,
Welcome back good to see you getting back into tanks :D
When you say 2.4 do you mean the new HL / Taigen boards or after market like the ASP or El Mod?
The HL 2.4 aren't that much different from before same sound etc just shorter aerial.
The tanks will always bounce over rocks etc as a scale object would only be about 5/10 mm for the tanks, yes heavier the tank the better, a lot of my tanks are heavy and look pretty good going over most things but will still bounce if the object is big enough.

But making them heavier comes at a price, need low ratio boxes, after market electronics etc... As more strain on the unit.

Nothing wrong with the metal tracks you had I've had Mato tracks for years and no problems with them breaking or anything.

Good you have plenty of room to drive around and have fun I would just get a tank and play and play and then if something breaks then you can upgrade that's all I did when I first got into tanks. Then you will learn about them and what you will want to do to them as time goes on or you might think its not for you and give up again.

Regarding metal tiger tank I presume your talking about the Mato all metal one, if so I would be careful with them as it's not easy to modify them, cutting, glueing removing parts etc it's a major job with plastic it's v easy. It also has the old type HL suspension which is no good, sits way to low.
Taigen put out a metal lower hull (same as the Tamiya hull ) metal insert in a plastic hull with tortion bar suspension etc, great hull you can always add extra weight (metal bar) to take the bounce out.

Hope this helps a bit
Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post subject: Re: Hello from far north NSW...
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:54 pm 
Pz IV Commander
Pz IV Commander

Hi Gra,

Regarding the 2.4....I have read the HL gear isn't much chop as you noted. When I had my Tiger a few years ago, I had in mind to go to one of the after market sets. Just recently, I started reading these forums to try to get clued up on 2.4Ghz sets.

I'm a Fitter by trade, I'm not familiar with all the electronic jargon; electronics is like Quantum Physics to me though, and all I really understand is that 2.4Ghz is the way to go.

I am thinking that the Turnigy 9XR is a good system? I have in mind buying a tank to get aquainted with and 'play' with and then later built a model of my own. So getting an RC set that will be of use in another tank, or even another type of model (land or maybe boat, but not air).

I'd like a set that's going to be able to run a tank, most likely a HL Tiger, and be adaptable to have more functions should I decide to do others things with it...I thing that means plenty of channels?

Thanks for the comments regarding the metal bodies. I'm aware the tanks will bobble about a bit. I'l get over that once I get one and fiddle with it.

Look forward to learning more,

Cheers,

Michael

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS