Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS

Forum rules

This forum is primarily to advise new members on the registration procedure. It is also for newly registered members to ask questions about membership to the forum or where they can post their initial posts in order to gain full forum membership.

Post subject: Hello from another new member.
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:35 pm 
Pz IV Commander
Pz IV Commander

Hello all.

I'm thinking about getting into this RC tank hobby. It is something that I thought of many years ago, but never followed through with.

A little about me: I'm up near Gladstone in Queensland; I'm 50yrs old, married, mortgage, kids (=minimal budget); I'm a Fitter by trade working mostly in maintenance of fixed plant. I have a 12 x 20" lathe and an XJ9512 Mill (very similar to an X2), small MIG welder and various other hand tools.

My thought are to go with the Tiger 1 in 1/16th. I understand from other posts that the Heng Long to be a sensible buy for an entry level.

Nice to find a forum close to home.

Cheers,

Michael

Post subject: Re: Hello from another new member.
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:20 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Michael
Welcome to the forum
Yes definitely get into Rc tanks, it's a great hobby :D

Heng long is a good entry model to begin with, especially with all the fitter and turner gear you have, HL are at the cheaper end of the Rc market and Tamyia at the top end.

Just check out the build posts on the site and you can see what mods and upgrades you can do to the Tiger,
Once you get one then they will multiply and breed, then you will have 6 or7 tanks :D

There are a couple of RC tank clubs in Brisbane

Don't hesitate to ask any questions

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:28 pm 
Pz IV Commander
Pz IV Commander

Hi Gra,

Thanks for the welcome. I have been checking out the builds in the other forum posts. Very impressive stuff.

I bought some track links off ebay that were going cheap as an appetiser - 2 sets of 5 links for $5 each. One set metal, one plastic. Just something to push around the table while I'm thinking :D

I have noticed remarks about early and late Heng Long Tiger 1 kits. The mantlet/gun not being correct in the earlier version I believe. How does one distinguish between the two, is it obvious? Perhaps the kits numbers are different?

I've never had anything to do with radio control, so this is a big mystery for me. I'm not even going to think about it yet!

The Brisbane clubs are still a bit far away from me (6 hrs+), but we're looking at moving to the northern rivers area of NSW in the near future, which will put me closer. We have 5 acres there, and I think it'll be fun to trundle a Tiger around the paddock.

Cheers,

Michael

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am 
Pz IV Commander
Pz IV Commander

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your welcome as well. I sat up reading various forum's and looking over Heng Long model's last night.

I dare say I will have lots of questions.

Cheers,

Michael

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 am 
Pz IV Commander
Pz IV Commander

Thanks Ken.

I spent a long time last night looking at Heng Longs on ebay. I noticed there is a Panther which looked a bit odd to me. I'm guessing Mr Heng Long tried to make the most of a Tiger chassis by adding a Panther superstructure to it. The running gear is wrong - well, everything below the top of the tracks is wrong if it is to be a Panther!

I'm assuming that would be an early kit? I see another out there that looks more accurate.

When I am reading "metal tracks", "metal hulls" and "metal wheels", what metal are we talking about here? I'm guessing Diecast zinc, although it crossed my might it might be Aluminium.

By the way, should I be directing these questions to another part of the forum?

Cheers,

Michael

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS