Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS

Forum rules

This forum is primarily to advise new members on the registration procedure. It is also for newly registered members to ask questions about membership to the forum or where they can post their initial posts in order to gain full forum membership.

Post subject: Hi there
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:15 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Hi everyone, Another new member here.

So yeah, I'm only new tro r/c tanks, though over the years I have built my share plastic kits. I guess that scale modeling background is influencing my decisions with the tanks. Open the box, charge things up, spend 20 minutes chasing the kitties, then spend 3 months with it all in pieces a while I modify and make additions. I'm a 3D Visual effects artist by trade, so for once its nice to be able to actually physically touch something I am working on, hehe.

My current project is an M41 Bulldog. I say 'current project' because I know it's going to be addictive and the M41 is just going to end up being the first of several. Despite the scaling issues on the Hl m41, I can't help myself. I just think they looked amazing. I'll post some pics of the build as I get a bit further along with it, and once I start getting enough of it back together to have something worth photographing. It will end up in German Bundeswehr colors. My main concern will be just getting is basic functions looking as nice/believable as I can, while leaving the door open for future addition of IR gear.

The only issue I have run into so far is breaking one of the suspension shock absorbers as I was disassembling the suspension to replace the springs. Unfortunately that looks like the one part for which it appears there is noone selling replacements for... if anyone has any suggestions on where I can find a new shock absorber for the M41 I am forever in your debt, hehe.

Well, I guess that's probably enough of a rambling introduction from me.

Cheers, Jan

Post subject: Re: Hi there
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:49 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Thanks for the suggestion Greg,

In the end I got lucky. As it turned out my brother in law happened to have a spare M41 lower from which I was able to cannibalise a couple new shocks absorbers. I say 'a couple' as I managed to break the swing arm on another of them when setting up for some different wheels. I guess that wasnt really 'breaking' it so much as missinterpreting some instructions and drilling an overly large hole. Oh well, we live and learn, and its all fixed now :)

I am starting to get quite a large pile of tank parts piling up on the table, I guess its just about time for me to start taking some pics and get that build thread started, hehe

Jan

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS