[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Heng Long problem - speed too fast, can I make more realist?
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS

Forum rules

This forum is primarily to advise new members on the registration procedure. It is also for newly registered members to ask questions about membership to the forum or where they can post their initial posts in order to gain full forum membership.

Post subject: Heng Long problem - speed too fast, can I make more realist?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Hi,

I have just purchased the Heng Long Tiger1, Panther G model, Jagdpanther, M41A3 and the Purshing. I'm new of course - but is there a way to make these tanks travel more realistic, they travel more like a race car.

I only have the stock, out of the box items, but I've bought the metal tracks and drive sprockets for the Tiger and J/Panther. Will the purchase of a lower ratio gearbox do any good?

I'm suprised at the lack of control...it's either go ffffffffffffffffast or stop. Am I missing a function somewhere??

Basically, I'm asking for help :D

Post subject: Re: Heng Long problem - speed too fast, can I make more real
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 am 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hello atom

this is a big lot of cats in your bag :o

first question: yes, you can swap normal gears for another with 3:1 reduction. This will slow your tank.

a side note, if you are using metal tracks you NEED to use metal sprockets and idlers too, and invariably, track tensioner, or you will end ripping off the plastic seats for the idlers...

second question: are you sure your tanks have proportional speed? i mean, have they RX18s inside? i've never seen one, but the old ones have no proportional speed, so they will run like 'mic-mic' road runner when not stopped...

best regards

Post Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:58 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

It is a lot of armor for one man, but I do have brothers with the same needs.

Not sure what a 'RX18' is...is that the motor? The tiger I ran, responded well to the R/C, but the tank is way to fast - not to scale, and the R/C controls only engage and disengage. What I mean is, there's no gradational speed increase or decrease, may as well have a go forward button and a stop button.

The Tiger, [which I have now done an autopsy on], has only the motors, Airsoft gun, and control board inside - no sound or smoke.

Have just ordered, steel reduced ratio motors from the UK - Australia is not the place if you like tanks. I have all the other stuff, metal sprockets etc. I'm looking for a lot of realism here. If this was the USA, I'd have a cut down rifle barrel in that turret quicker than you could say Ka....BOOM!

I thought I was doing something wrong as the Youtube vids show these tanks, just creeping along nicely....I'm learning.

Thanks Jussek

Post Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:35 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

hi Atom

the RX18 is the last versions of heng long electronics, the 'brains' of the tank. For you comments i think that your cats are the oooold version, no smoke, no sound, no proportional speed.

By swapping only the gearbox i do not think you will go too much better, because this is the electronic's job...

best regards

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:19 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Thanks again,

I'll have to find a new board, so I hope the new elec board + the low ratio gearbox will do the trick. The Tiger only cost $109 new...that's not bad for a base project.

I'm thinking of putting some serious weight inside the tank, just enough so the suspension will really engage with the terrain, but not enough so the motors don't explode...wish me luck!

thanks again

Post Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:16 pm 
Pz III Commander
Pz III Commander

Hi Atom,

If you want to get better control over your tanks you've come to the right place. Check out the RC Tanks Australia webshop and take a look at RC2HL. If you want to get more proportional control (i.e. more speed with more stick movement) put these into your tank and run them off a 2.4GHz transmitter.

My first tank (a Heng Long Panzer III) had the TK01 board inside and the transmitter was basically a switch - on or off as you describe. I upgraded the TK01 to the RX-18, added RC2HL and have much better control over the tank now.

If your tanks have smoke and sound they probably already have the RX-18 boards and RC2HL would be a plug in upgrade.

Check out the RC2HL discussions on these forums for more information. Take a look at the Taipan thread too.

Changing to a 3:1 gearbox will slow your tank down but it will still be just an "on or off" situation with Heng Long radio gear.

Best regards,
David

Post Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:45 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Nice comments,

I found that the Jagdpanther has the RX-18 and the travel speed and movement is tubular-el-fantastico! - so it looks like the Tiger will have to have some minor surgery, have ordered the Rx board, I'm guessing a new remote too and crystal - what's the RC2HL, is that the board that goes with the RX18?

A little further down the track I'm thinking of live cameras in tanks for a little more immersion - we're discussing the possibilities now.

cheers

:)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:17 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

All good advice,

except the RC Tanks Australia site....I can only find two tanks?? The Stug and the Panzer 111...? And every item I go to look at is SOLD OUT. Somebody go down town and check behind the counter, I think the guy is dead and cats are eating his body.

The other place I tried was 'Tank Army', some nice stuff there, but I'm sure the guys that run it are related to the 'Comic Book Store' guy from the Simpsons................

"The situation that arose eliminates the necessity to convey to you the problematic absence of that product...." , cause there sure ain't much help or advice.

Anyway this seems like a nice place

cheers

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:36 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Arrgghh a cat's just run away with my arm... Can't seem to type a reply
Oh no come back with my leg kitty.......
damn pesky felines

odd how everything you DO need to address your issue is in stock in the RCTA shop BTW

http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... ucts_id=25
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... ucts_id=28
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=222
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... ucts_id=30
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... ucts_id=31
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=196
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=217
http://rctanksaustralia.com/shop/index. ... cts_id=213

No point getting titanium 3:1 super turbo boosted quad cam mega torque motors if you have got nothing to control them with

The first upgrade anyone should look at is getting onto PROPER 2.4gHz gear. I'm pretty sure that was the essence of Dave's post.

This is a nice place and there are a lot of members of this forum who are very experienced in electronics. But we can only solve one problem at a time.

Finally, a little tip... just send an email to that half eaten dead guy at the RCTA shop and ask about any item that may be "out of stock" I have it on good authority that he actually does keep a lot of stuff "under the counter" so to speak for his loyal customers or emergency purposes.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Thanks Kevin G,

I originally purchased the tanks from 'Soldsmart' (all 7 of them!) for freinds and brothers, one room is chock a block with armor. At the time I had little idea that I was purchasing some that had old electronics in them, and some were IR and not BB....and then I saw metal tracks...and it was love at first sight.

I see there are 8 crystals for the remotes, does that mean we can operate 8 AFVs at the same time?

...anyway back to the panzer factory

g

Board index » RC Tanks Australia » General Discussion » NEW MEMBERS