[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Heng Long Leopard 2A6 Upgrades
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » German Panzers » 2A6 MBT Leopard » 1/16 Scale Builds

Post subject: Heng Long Leopard 2A6 Upgrades
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:02 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Got myself the new HL Leopard 2A6, nice tank but a few upgrades are required as per usual HL.

First here’s some pictures

Idle wheels adjuster

Inside Turret

First upgrade was replace the white metal gearboxes and motors with some better quality black metal versions and some Jamara 480 LiPo power motors. Sorry no pictures here.

Next the turret turn is very slow due to the large turret gear so I’ve changed the turret turn motor to a white capped motor rated at 3v 13,100rpm. Again sorry no pictues.

Next up I wasn’t planning on using the airsoft and since it encroaches into the lower hull during elevation that needed to be resolved so simply cut the bottom half off.

Whilst I had the turret in bits I added a LED flash, and cut some extra teeth in the turret gear to give 360 degree rotation.

Next I removed the electronics, and added a Tamiya speaker which required some of the lower hull cutting away to fit.

That’s all I’ve done so far, but plenty more to add.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post subject: Re: Heng Long Leopard 2A6 Upgrades
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:12 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

I will be watching this with great interest.

What brand motor did you use for the turret rotation?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:47 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:47 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Been busy recently so much work on the Leo.

Anyway last week my high speed high torque motor arrived, bit smaller than expected so wasn't thinking it be up to much.

I was correct to weak to turn the turret.

So from one extreme to another.

Cut up the gearbox and added HL track motor.

Works great from a battery, but the electronics don't appear to want to power it. So think some electronic speed controller to power it or RCTA Gecko is next plan .

Ian

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:58 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Ian

Should of emailed me first about your turret speed. You can boost the speed of the standard motors by giving then a higher voltage. All of my new boards are going to be designed for the use of 11.4 v LiPos. This will not only provide a bit of extra grunt to motors but also sound amplifiers.

However, having said that I'm pretty much a WWII Panzer addict so I design most boards to go into what I have. Geko as it stands is no exception. At present it only uses the 5 V supply from your receiver to power the motors. This is the same as that little controller that Edwin is using. It is designed to spin the usual turret and elevation motors it most likely will not spin the track motors which can draw a few amps

If you are going to use a track motor to turn your turret then you can get a cheap car ESC off eBay that will do the job perfectly. Make sure that you get a car or boat esc as these will have reverse and that the ESC is for a BRUSHED motor.

Something like this will do the job and at a cheaper price than GEKO. It will also supply the needed current to power your gear motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F05427-RC-10A-B ... 4173e2fef7

Now you may be thinking then why get a GEKO if this does the job. Well yes it will for a turret BUT it won't be too good for elevation. The elevation channel typically has the firing of the cannon and machine gun at the extremes. If you were to use such an esc on the elevation channel the elevation motor would spin at maximum every time you fired the guns. Geko only operates the elevation when it is supposed to operate, ignoring the extremes.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:30 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info on the GEKO and ESC. I’ll try the ESC route and see how it goes. Just a shame HL put a big turret ring and normal turret gearbox/motor on it’s modern tanks. If any thing these turrets should spin round in seconds not minutes.

I get what you’re saying regarding the elevation control on the GEKO, could I suggest having a servo output for the elevation as well? That way people have choice of using the heng long motor or a servo if space is a premium if you know what I mean.

Ian.

SU100
HE Abrams
HL Leopard 2A6
HL Jagdpanther

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:17 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI Ian

I have got a separate program for an elevation servo. In a pinch it can run on my Octopus board. Geko is for just putting into an existing HL. In my mind the existing motor control for elevation is way nicer than a servo. Problem of course is space inside the turret.

Still I will get round to putting the servo program onto its own board and it will be a tiny board. I'll be needing two or three for myself.

Cheers

The little servo board looks like this:

sirvoe_3d.jpg

Along the top are pads for connection of LEDs and a jumper. In one state the LEDs function as per normal tank - One for Cannon and one for Machine gun (NOTE you can also trigger the high tension flash) Change the jumper and you will get Flakpanzer mode - both LEDs firing as per a flak cannon.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rctanksaustralia.com

Board index » German Panzers » 2A6 MBT Leopard » 1/16 Scale Builds