[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - 360 Degree Turret Modifications and Asp
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » ASP Control Board

Post subject: 360 Degree Turret Modifications and Asp
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:07 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

This video shows one way to go about setting up Asp for a 360 degree rotating turret. A 12 way slip ring is used with the following designations:
1. V0
2. V+ (5 volts)
3. Recoil servo signal
4. Elevation servo signal
5. Elevation Motor A (JST-XH)
6. Elevation Motor B (JST-XH)
7. IR- (JST-PH)
8. IR+ (JST-PH)
9. Flash/LED signal (JST-XH)
10. MG2 (JST-PH)
11. Indicator LED - (JST-PH)
12. IR signal (JST-PH)

A small PCB has been made to convert these 12 wires to the 20 odd pins required for all of the turret elements. Most of the first run of this PCB have been already reserved. Unfortunately, there will not be another run until late January 2016.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post subject: Re: 360 Degree Turret Modifications and Asp
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:31 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Good stuff Kevin looks great and a good idea to come in kit form so you can shorten cables etc...

Cheers
Gra :)

Panzergruppe South Member

Post Posted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:10 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Kevin, I am trying to use the same colour codes as you are using; can you list which colour goes where? also does it matter which way up the slew ring goes?
regards
Mike

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:48 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Mike

There is no colour coding all you have to do is assign whatever colours you have to the 1- 12 list above. I have a different slip ring to you in any case plus I don't have the unit on hand. Your unit will probably have 12 different colours.

Which way up will depend on where you mount your slip ring. You will want the rotating end to go to the part that is rotating. If you mount in the hull it will be the turret that is rotating if you mount in the turret it is the hull that is rotating.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:46 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Thanks Kevin, I was going cross eyed trying to see what colour was what; when I looked at your answer it became clearer. Now when I get the JST plugs delivered I will have some working tanks
Regards Mike

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:29 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Over the weekend I have had the task of converting an IMEX King Tiger tank with a 360 degree turret over to the Asp system. Since this tank does not use elevation & recoil servos but rather the old Asiatam style recoil and elevation motor unit it is necessary to renumber the 12 way slip ring.

Since the elevation servo wire is not needed but a Battery Voltage + is we can make this change on wire 4. Wire 3 then becomes the recoil "motor" signal. Hence....

1. V0
2. V+ (5 volts)
3. Recoil motor signal
4. Battery Voltage +
5. Elevation Motor A (JST-XH)
6. Elevation Motor B (JST-XH)
7. IR- (JST-PH)
8. IR+ (JST-PH)
9. Flash/LED signal (JST-XH)
10. MG2 (JST-PH)
11. Indicator LED - (JST-PH)
12. IR signal (JST-PH)

NOTE: Asp does not require the microswitch input and it can be removed and the 2 wires assigned then re-assigned to more useful functions - MG2 and Indicator LEDs.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:12 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Kevin,
Are the JST-XH smaller than PH? I thought it was the opposite before.
As you know I'm doing the interconnect board for the airsoft tanks and size is the issue so I need the smaller JST, but going to ZH I think would be too small. And I'm having a very hard time finding any kind of a reliable size comparison between XH and PH on the net. Even the datasheets are a little confusing. Seems like PH should be bigger, but in data sheets I think it shows a 2 pin XH is thicker than PH... unless I'm misreading it.

HL M41 Bulldog
Torro Late Tiger I
Taigen KV-1

Wish List:
Torro KingTiger
Panther F or G
Taigen T34-85
Super Pershing

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:09 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hi Pete

Everything above is correct. Yes you are misreading it.

If in doubt just google it

JST XH
-"0.098" (2.50mm) Pitch Shrouded Through Hole and Surface Mount Pin Header Connectors"

JST PH
-"0.079" (2.00mm) Pitch Shrouded Through Hole and Surface Mount Pin Header Connectors"

JST ZH
-" 0.059" (1.50mm) Pitch Free Hanging Crimp Receptacle Connector Housings"

If doing things manually stick as much as you can to XH, crimping PH is bearable, crimping ZH by hand is nigh impossible.

With the pitch spacings above you can use the standard 0.1" headers in your pcb program for the JST-XH components. An 8 way 0.1" spacing header makes the same holes as for a JST-XH 8 way connector

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:52 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Ok, thanks Kevin. Decided to go with xh, because it disconnects easier than ph, yet all connectors still fit on the tiny board.

HL M41 Bulldog
Torro Late Tiger I
Taigen KV-1

Wish List:
Torro KingTiger
Panther F or G
Taigen T34-85
Super Pershing

Board index » Electronics » ASP Control Board