[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 379: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
RC Tanks Australia Forum • View topic - Hi there - tank noob here... I need help!
Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Electronics » RC5HL

Post subject: Hi there - tank noob here... I need help!
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:00 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Hello,

I've got an HL Tiger with the RC5HL. I'm using a Taranis and D8R-XP RX. So far I think I've got things set up properly. The board lights up and I get the rapidly flashing green light... so far so good. I have the SF switch on the Taranis set for ch 5 at 100% but the tank won't start up. I'm sure I'm doing something (perhaps many things) wrong so any help would be appreciated.

Also, anyone got a template for the Taranis?

Post subject: Re: Hi there - tank noob here... I need help!
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:39 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

HI VOid

The Tarnis will run the RC5HL so don't worry. The Taranis and 9X series are pretty much the ONLY boards we use now to develop our products.

Unfortunately I have not had much time to devote to getting Templates over to the Taranis but now that Mike Blandford has joined the forum hopefully that will change.

The Taranis should be quite simple CH1-5 plug in to the RC5HL in that order and you can remove the receiver selection jumper. The 8 -channel FrSky receivers do not have any quirks and operate in order.

WHen you set up the switch remember that the switches must operate as TOGGLES (momentary in action). Your switch must be set up such that when you power up it is at NEUTRAL position (0)

After the RC5HL calibrates and the green LED is flashing very rapidly so that it looks like it is solid on then you operate the switch. So in your particular case you would set up the SF switch as follows

SF-down arrow MAX (100)

Power up with SF switch toward the back and when RC5HL is ready turn on tank my moving switch to on postion wait half a second and then RETURN switch to back (toggle the switch)

However - any future Taranis template will follow all others in making the 3 position SC switch the ignition switch. On our setup channel five is set as follows
CH5 MAX 100 SC up arrow (Tank ignition)
+=MAX -100 SC down arrow (this then control ones of the switches on the RC5HL)
:= MAX 50 SD up arrow
:=MAX -50 SD down arrow (this then control the other of the switches on the RC5HL)

Hope this helps

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:13 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Thank you for the help!

So I changed over my switch so it uses SC like you're using. I've set it up like you said but so far no love. One thing I noticed is if I switch the SC switch all the way down (-100) the SW2 LED lights up on the board. Is that expected? I shot a quick video to show what's happening, maybe it'll show if I've got something set wrong.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:25 pm 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

I realized just now you did say that switch SC at -100 controls a switch on the RC5HL so that does seem to be working ok.

On a unrelated note can you tell me what the indicated wire is for? It was never connected to anything when I got the tank... I've looked everywhere online to try to find out what that is!

Thanks again for the assistance.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:04 am 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Hey Void

First the video - It looks like you have the Taranis set right. Unfortunately that is all I can really see in the video. Because the light for a switch turns on with -100 then it is also correct. So I can assume that ch5 is plugged in correctly.

Your cable is in backwards to the way I would suggest BUT that should not be a problem. Normally I have the 3 pin connector connecting CH1 with the Input 1 on the RC5HL. So the colours go
brown -ch1 (V0)
red -ch1 (V+)
Orange -ch1 (Sig)
yellow -ch2 (Sig)
green -ch3 (Sig)
blue -ch4 (Sig)
purple -ch5 (Sig)

SO all I can suggest is to try the arrangement above and remember to wait for the green LED to go solid before trying the start the tank

As for your second unrelated question (which is a nice clear shot - if you could do the same for the connections in and out of your receiver/RC5HL) That is the micro-switch connect cable. It connects the far right two pins of the right 5 pin connector (Flash port) on your RX18. On all but the earliest of RX18s the fire sound and recoil action of your tank will not occur with firing of the BB gun unless this is connected.

Cheers
KG

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:29 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Thank you so much for your replies!

I've switched the wiring to match what you've described. Still no luck. Maybe the RX18 is bad? The tank did work when I got it... sometimes. It was very erratic and unpredictable.

Here's a shot of the wiring now. When you say "flash port" you mean CN3?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:31 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Not sure if yet another video is going to be help much. I only have a D8R II Plus and X8R receivers and there has been no issues with either.

Yes CN3 is the Flash Port (M.G. Fire) as that is where the high voltage Flash unit connects.

As with any RCTA product you are welcome to return the RC5HL if you can not get it work.

Cheers
Kevin G

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:56 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

So I got the RC5HL and my Taranis talking and working... sort of. I got a new RX18 board and the tank fired up as soon as I connected it and powered it all up. Then it simply stopped working. I fiddled around with things and rebooted and got it to work again... then it stopped. More fiddling and it worked for a while. Now it won't work at all... everything seems to power up just fine but it's not arming when I flip switch C.

Any thoughts on all this?

Post Posted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:29 pm 
King Tiger Commander
King Tiger Commander

Battery charged?

rctanksaustralia.com

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:26 am 
Kübelwagen Driver
Kübelwagen Driver

Yessir! I'm using a 2S lipo at 8V.

Board index » Electronics » RC5HL